Discuss, review and recommend UK broadband internet services from providers such as BT, Virgin Media and Sky here.
While surfing through net I notice that there is a difference in the extensions being used for different web addresses. In some sites it will be .com while some others use extensions like gov, edu, net, mil etc. What is the use these different types of extensions? Do they show anything about the identity or security of the site? :)
By Snakevenom
It's to categorize sites and to create/offer more possible domain names. You can't obtain a .gov address (or at least not to my knowledge) meaning that you know you are safe when visiting a page with that URL (somewhat safe at least).
By John Donovan
As others said, apart from the ones indicating the country (such as .co.uk for the United Kingdom and, say, .jp for Japan), the other present the type of website.

.com means commercial.
.org means organization.
.gov means government
.edu means educational

That's pretty much all of them. I hope I didn't miss any important ones!
By bluegreen
talk2me wrote:While surfing through net I notice that there is a difference in the extensions being used for different web addresses. In some sites it will be .com while some others use extensions like gov, edu, net, mil etc. What is the use these different types of extensions? Do they show anything about the identity or security of the site? :)
I think it's just a matter of categorisation and organisation :P Like the .com, .fr, .org etc. And a way of having a site only for them because some organisations need to create a site that has it's name and the common users can't have the .gov .edu extentsons I think!
By adssolsn
John Donovan wrote:As others said, apart from the ones indicating the country (such as .co.uk for the United Kingdom and, say, .jp for Japan), the other present the type of website.

.com means commercial.
.org means organization.
.gov means government
.edu means educational

That's pretty much all of them. I hope I didn't miss any important ones!
to add on the same:
.NET represents network related organizations.
.ORG represents non-profit organizations.
.INFO represents any information based website.
.BIZ represents business websites.
.MOBI represents websites that are open to mobile devices.
.xxx specifically for the benefit of the adult entertainment websites.
.NAME for individuals aiming at using their own name.
.ASIA, .EU, KE, US. for websites within a certain country eg .US is for United States of America.
While previous comments on the thread have covered what the extensions are and what they mean, do you think that some inspire more confidence in a site more than others?

For example do you feel more secure browsing a site ending in .gov than what you would if it ended in .biz?
By adssolsn
Sunflogun wrote:Yep, this is a good description, at the same time I do wonder what's the practical point of all this? Sure, it's important to know that it's a governmental page of course.
it plays a very big role to know who you are working with @pwarbi. for instance,there are so many online scams, a website may con people of their hard earned cash pretending to be a government institution. you will be relieved to know that an ordinary website can not acquire a .Gov extension.
By pwarbi
With there being that many variations these days, I think you probably have to be more careful then ever exactly what site you are browsing.

A lot of the time people don't even look at the actual page address and realise what extension it's got, they'll just click on a Google search and not even think about it
By nytegeek
Gov domains may be reserved for government use, but that doesn't stop a government agency from using the other domains. For example, the correct domain for the US postal service is a Com even though it is a federal agency in the US.
By pwarbi
Good point, I've noticed that their are a lot of government run sites that don't use the .gov extension and it makes me wonder why?

People have said that they feel more comfortable using a .gov site, so you'd have thought if you are allowed to use that extension, then you'd make the most of it.