Discuss, review and recommend UK broadband internet services from providers such as BT, Virgin Media and Sky here.
By nytegeek
lokiebunny wrote:Well, as far as I know that, weather condition will never slow down your internet speed talk about the satellite connection that you could be affected but cable broadband I don't think so.
Severe weather absolutely 100% without a doubt can slow down or stop things on any type of connection. The thing to understand is that it doesn't need be your weather or your own link to your ISP for it to happen. All it takes is a weather related event such as a broken line or power outage somewhere between you and a site you are connecting to. Also, even though the internet is supposed to be decentralized there are large hubs of traffic that have formed. If one of these are disrupted it can greatly slow or even stop IP traffic for an entire region.
By pwarbi
Obviously if lightening strikes a box or the wind takes lines down then it will affect the service, but just usual everyday bad weather wouldn't make a difference, is what I was meaning.

The OP said cold weather, so I wouldn't think that would affect it. Blizzards, thunder and lightening and gale force winds are a different matter all together.
By nytegeek
It depends on how the lines are installed in a given area. For example if a good deal of your internet traffic goes through an area with aerial lines and cold weather ice can be an issue. If it is raining outside your home it shouldn't matter though unless you have one of those satellite service connections. Weather has been known to be a factor in Wimax networks on rare occasions as well but that also takes something major.
By pwarbi
For you to get internet in your home, it will have to come from an outside source, what you are using to connect to it when it gets there wouldn't really make a difference.

If your using a WiFi connection to connect then that's less stable than I direct cable connection, but that won't be anything to do with the weather.

Unless your house as no roof...
adssolsn liked this
By bluegreen
Sunflogun wrote:I don't think cold weather makes any difference if we are using cable. As for wifi to be honest I don't think so either, but to be honest I am not totally sure.
As it was said in the other posts, weather can severily affect internet speed, if not the actual connection, shuting it down... I'm not surprised by this, because nowadays cable internet is used a lot and everyone know that under raining weather (with strong winds) it's very common that electricty lines are cuted because of accidents related to traffic, trees going down and against the wires etc. So if some internet wire gets cuted down I have no doubt that the internet will be compromised if they have no other way of reaching a certain area!
By pwarbi
@nytegeek well with the kind of severe weather conditions were talking about here, if we have a roof now we might not for much longer!

As for WiFi signal being affected, the WiFi is only as good as the connection it's getting from the ISP so the same argument stands. Severe weather can affect your service. Cold weather not so much.
By adssolsn
pwarbi wrote:@nytegeek well with the kind of severe weather conditions were talking about here, if we have a roof now we might not for much longer!

As for WiFi signal being affected, the WiFi is only as good as the connection it's getting from the ISP so the same argument stands. Severe weather can affect your service. Cold weather not so much.
I can really call it severe weather, its just about 15% cold and there's no rain. what we have is heavy clouds and very heavy mist. well sometimes it showers.