Discuss, review and recommend UK broadband internet services from providers such as BT, Virgin Media and Sky here.
By vinaya
Do you think domain extension affect search engine page rank. Do you think dot org will be higher ranked than dot com (because dot org belongs to trusted organizations, government bodies)? There are also extensions such as dot xyz. Do you think dot xyx will rank lower than dot come becuuse dot xyz has just arrived in the market?
By talk2me
I don't think if there is any relation between page ranking and domain extension.

Yes, you are right that a domain extension which belongs to Government bodies seem to be more trustworthy. But can we give it to other commercial sites? It is not possible and the extensions are based on the nature of business the site does. A person who want to use a commercial site will never be satisfied by visiting a a site with domain extension .gov. So page ranking has nothing to do with domain extensions, but content does.
By vinaya
I think domain extensions can actually affect search engine page rank. Search engines priority is always to show trusted sites and authentic information. Let me exemplify, if you are seeking a visa to France and search France Visa on Google, it will rank dot gov or dot org websites higher than dot com. The reason is dot gov is a government website, dot org is government or other official website and dot com is a commercial website.
talk2me liked this
By talk2me
vinaya wrote:I think domain extensions can actually affect search engine page rank. Search engines priority is always to show trusted sites and authentic information. Let me exemplify, if you are seeking a visa to France and search France Visa on Google, it will rank dot gov or dot org websites higher than dot com. The reason is dot gov is a government website, dot org is government or other official website and dot com is a commercial website.
That is really a very good point. That didn't strike me, thanks for updating my knowledge.

That means Google is applying some mechanism based on domain extensions. They may show the most authoritative sites first when we search for a particular thing. That is just amazing. I must say Google is doing a very good job in that front then.

Then I believe in case of common sites with .com extension the order will be based on key words. Am I right?
By vinaya
I also want to add another point, search engines also give preference to the keywords, keyphrase, long tail search term in the title and the body. Let me exemplify. If some body is trying to find places to visit in France and types "Places to see in France," it is likely that Google will try to show articles that use the long tail search term even though the website may be dot com, instead of dot org tourism website of French government.