Discuss, review and recommend UK broadband internet services from providers such as BT, Virgin Media and Sky here.
By adssolsn
hi fellows, i friend suggested that its possible to use a phone as a modem for internet connection on a personal computer. however, he did not explain as he is also unfamiliar with the process; i told him i will research and give him the formula.is this possible, and how can i do it?
By vinaya
In order to use your phone as modem, you have activate mobile hotspot on your phone. Go to tethering and mobile hotspot in the setting, tap on mobile hotspot and set the user name and password. Turn on the mobile data and then mobile hotspot,now your phone has turned into a modem and the phone data has turned to a wifi. You can use this wifi on your computer or other devices.
adssolsn liked this
By nytegeek
vinaya wrote:In order to use your phone as modem, you have activate mobile hotspot on your phone. Go to tethering and mobile hotspot in the setting, tap on mobile hotspot and set the user name and password. Turn on the mobile data and then mobile hotspot,now your phone has turned into a modem and the phone data has turned to a wifi. You can use this wifi on your computer or other devices.
I'm guessing this is what the OP was after but I feel the need to clarify one point. This is the way to allow internet access via a cellular data connection, but it is not how a phone is used as a modem.
By vinaya
@nytegeek I agree the method I explained above is a process to change your mobile data to a wifi hotpost and use the internet on other devices. I do this all the time. Will you please explain how to use phone as a modem? Can we do this on any smart phone, or do we need to install related app?