Discuss, review and recommend UK broadband internet services from providers such as BT, Virgin Media and Sky here.
100 %

Advertisement

By Sponsor
By davep123
Paul,

Its been a while since posting on here, thats because everything is working ;-) .

I have noticed that if I enable my router based VPN it stops the phone from working.

but as soon as I disable the VPN the ip phone is fine again.

What can I do to the config of the phone so it works whilst VPN is on ??

was using nordvpn, but recently cancelled that will be trialing expressvpn soon

Dave

Advertisement

By Sponsor
By WelshPaul
No problem, happy to hear that everything has been working for you. :thumbsup:

Regarding your VPN setup, there is no additional configuration required on a Cisco SPA112 when connected to a router that is configured to use a VPN. When you say "the phone stops working" what do you mean exactly? No audio, no dial tone etc.

What does the Voice > Information > Registration State parameter on your SPA112 display when you enable the VPN on your Super Hub 3?
By davep123
Hi,

When I ring I get an automated message saying "this call cannot be connected" or similar worded message yet I then get a message from sipgate that I have had a missed call.
the phone doesn't ring

Registration State = failed

the hub 3 is set as pass through box to my asus router
By WelshPaul
What VPN provider are you using now and what type of connection is it? Also, is the IP a UK based one or overseas? I'm wondering if Sipgate has blocked the VPN IP address. Sipgate.co.uk terms state that "Our Service may not be used from the USA or through US citizens.". Will try this out when I get a spare 10 minutes...
By WelshPaul
Indeed! :-/

I have almost the same setup as you, I have the SH2 and an Asus AC88U. Will look into this some more and see if I can figure out the cause.
By WelshPaul
Sorry for the late reply, been so busy! :smoker:

For testing, some free VPN that's not even worth mentioning. I use Tunnel Bear for my VPN needs. Tunnel Bear requires use of an app though, suits my needs because I wouldn't want to use a VPN via the router 24/7 because of poor speeds and high latency. Will try and look at this some more later today as weekends are a no go for me! My children can't seem to go without internet for more than 5 minutes. :laugh:
gsmlnx liked this
By WelshPaul
I have looked at this again today, this time I decided to test with Free OpenVPN via OpenVPN. Although not a good VPN solution in your case (they change passwords twice a day), they do state the following on their website "Free VPN-access with no restrictions!". Makes them ideal for testing! ;-)

The result? It worked first time! Here are my Asus AC88U settings:
asus_vpn.png
ASUS Free OpenVPN settings
asus_vpn.png (143.02 KiB) Viewed 62 times
There is no additional configuration required on the SPA112:
spa112_vpn.png
SPA112 Registration Status via VPN
spa112_vpn.png (93.3 KiB) Viewed 62 times
So far I have failed to get it working using VPN's that use PPTP/L2TP. :oops:

Advertisement

By Sponsor

The OBi2000 series IP phones are now available for…

UPDATE: Grandstream has removed v1.0.5.7 and v1.…

Phones stop registering

I never replied to this post because I noticed you…

List of UK Residential VoIP Providers

Great list of Voip providers in Uk. Vital Telcoms …