If it's about VoIP, SIP or Internet Telephony but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, post it here.

Advertisement

By Sponsor
By WelshPaul
I have been using VoIP for years. I've mainly used both VoiceHost and VoipFone for my VoIP needs although i've used or tried most VoIP providers over the years. As times gone on the features and stability of VoIP have improved drastically. Anyway, today I decided to port my VoiceHost GEO number that I have had since 2013 to VoipFone. A pretty straight forward request these days and here is how I went about it...
  1. I contacted VoiceHost in order to find out if I needed to anything their end before submitting a port request to VoipFone. I received the following response:
    VoiceHost wrote:All you need to do is submit the request to Voipfone and they should be able to take care of the rest.
  2. I then sent an email off to VoipFone which included a recent bill of the number I wanted to port, a signed letter requesting the number be ported and a completed VoipFone XML porting request form.
  3. Voipfone emailed me back promptly with the following responses:
    Thank you, i will now submit the request for you.
    Then a short time later later:
    Thank you for your porting request for number 01792xxxxxx. This has now been submitted for you.
    Port Order Number 1600xxxxx.

We will contact you straight away once we have any news regarding your request.

If you have a couple of minutes spare, would you mind letting us know why you decided to port your number to us, your feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Great! Easy wasn't it? :smile:

A short while later I received the following email from Voicehost:
VoiceHost wrote:An export request has been received to port the telephone number 01792xxxxxx

Please accept or reject the following number porting request:

Telephone Number: 01792xxxxxx
Account: 1xxxx
Porting Date: 23/04/2019 10:00
Response: Accept / Reject
If no response is received before 19/04/2019, the export will be rejected.

Due to the technical implementation of IP Exchange number porting, a telephone number can only be ported once and cannot return to the range holder. Subsequent ports are therefore not possible, meaning that if you are unhappy with the gaining providers service you will not be able to move the number to an alternate provider or return the number to its existing network. Please take this into consideration before accepting the advice of transfer as we will be unable to assist with the above scenario.

Administration fees apply to all number exports, please refer to your tariff for charges. By accepting the AOT you acknowledge the administration fee and agree to settle the amount when presented.
OK, no problem with them requesting that I "Accept" or "Reject" the request. Nice security feature right? But then I read this:
VoiceHost wrote:Due to the technical implementation of IP Exchange number porting, a telephone number can only be ported once and cannot return to the range holder. Subsequent ports are therefore not possible, meaning that if you are unhappy with the gaining providers service you will not be able to move the number to an alternate provider or return the number to its existing network. Please take this into consideration before accepting the advice of transfer as we will be unable to assist with the above scenario.
WHAT? I can only port my number once and that's it!!! :astonished:

After doing some research it looks like my DID is hosted on BT IPX and if I port away the Range Holder uses whats know in the industry as the Scenario 7 method for exporting a hosted number to an OLO. What does that mean? It means once number ranges allocated by Ofcom to range holders that built on IPEX have been exported away from IPEX, they cannot yet return to IPEX, importantly this includes any other IPEX Communications Provider (e.g. if a number exported to the BT PSTN wants to port somewhere else this cannot be fulfilled at present).

Below is a list of different BT IP Exchange porting scenarios:

BT IP EXCHANGE PORTING SCENARIOS 1 - 7
There are currently 7 scenarios that effect the porting in of numbers to BT IP Exchange, see table below:
  • Import Scenario 1
    A BT telephone number (BT is the Range Holder) that is to be ported from the BT Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN) or VoIP network to IP Exchange
  • Import Scenario 2
    A BT telephone number, previously exported to another CP’s network, is to be ported to IP Exchange
  • Import Scenario 3
    Another CP’s telephone number (other CP is the Range Holder), currently on their network, is to be ported to IP Exchange
  • Import Scenario 4
    Another CP’s telephone number, already imported to the BT PSTN, is to be ported to IP Exchange.
  • Import Scenario 5
    Another CP’s end user telephone number, currently on a different CP’s network, is to be ported to IP Exchange.
  • Import Scenario 6
    A range of numbers in a block that belong to 2 or more different range holders or Current Network Operator, referred to as a Mixed Range Holder Port
  • Import Scenario 7
    Porting of CP own number ranges hosted on IP Exchange to another IP Exchange CP
The following are excluded from Scenario 7 export requests:
  • Mixed Range Holder port requests
  • Mixed Losing CP requests
  • Re-presents
  • Return to Range Holder (GNP)
  • Subsequent Port (GNP)
So consider yourself warned! Before porting your VoIP number, ask both your current provider and the provider you're moving over to if you're going to fall victim to Scenario 7 when porting away from them now or in the future. Because if you do, you're going to be sh*t out of luck further down the road! :frowning:

Thank you very much Paul for the info - that's mos…

Ok so having read the manual (which can be found …

Recommendation for voicemail

Hi All, i have the panasonic kx-ta824/kx-tes824 s…

I have been using VoIP for years. I've mainly used…