If it's about VoIP, SIP or Internet Telephony but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, post it here.
By WelshPaul
Just received an OBiWiFi5G 2.4/5GHz Wireless 802.11AC Adapter that I ordered from amazon.co.uk. This replaces the previous OBiWiFi adapter and is currently retailing at £25 (marked own from £49.99) here in the UK and is Eligible for FREE UK Delivery.

Retail packaging:
OBiWiFi5G_packaging.JPG
The retail packaging has been overhauled and it now comes in a white cardboard box that measures H6.5in x W5.4in x D1.1in in size. The requirements and setup instructions are printed on the reverse of the packaging, no more manuals or leaflets are provided. Unlike the previous OBiWiFi packaging, these are sealed:
OBiWiFi5G_seal.JPG
Open box:
OBiWiFi5G_open_box.JPG
The first and only thing you see when opening the box is the OBiWiFi5G adapter. As already mentioned above, no manuals or leaflets are provided.

Front view:
OBiWiFi5G_front.JPG
There appears to be a small pin hole located on the front of the OBiWiFi5G but no information is supplied as to what it is or does. Who's going to be the first to stick something in the hole and find out? :laugh:

Back view:
OBiWiFi5G_back.JPG
It's not shown in the photo above but if you remove the plastic protector from the OBiWiFi5G adapter, the adapters MAC address is printed/engraved (I can't tell which) on the USB metal head. There is nothing to say what the button on the rear does, I'm guessing it's for Push 'N' Connect (WPS).

Size comparison:
OBiWiFi5G_size_comparison.JPG
To give you an idea of the overall size of the OBiWiFi5G, the above picture shows it next to a British two pence piece.

Want to get your hands on one? Click here.
By WelshPaul
Having just set this up using an OBi200 running Firmware 3.1.1 (Build: 5562) and an ASUS RT-AC68U running Asuswrt-Merlin 380.65 I can confirm the following:
  1. The Push 'N' Connect (WPS) (if that is what it is) doesn't work. You still have to set it up by:
    • Dialling *27 on your telephones keypad to enable the OBiWiFi5G adapter.
    • Use a WiFi enabled computer, phone or tablet and connect to the WiFi network called: OBiWiFi_Setup.
    • Open a browser window and navigate to: http://192.168.10.1/wifi and fill out the required information on the page displayed.
  2. Signal strength is no better or worse than the original OBiWiFi adapter when using the 2.4GHz band.
  3. Signal strength on the 5GHz band matches that of the 2.4GHz band.
  4. After just a few minutes use it got warm, very warm.
Let's see how it preforms over the coming weeks! :P
gsmlnx liked this