If it's about VoIP, SIP or Internet Telephony but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, post it here.
By amstel
Hi,

I am new to VoIP but I have a technical background.
Could you please advise a good solution for a small business.

At the moment they use BT Complete Call Package £30 a month + line fee
(plus Calling Features Pack 1, BTB Complete Exchange Line, BTB Complete Auxiliary Line - expensive)
I plan to recommend them to buy 6 x Cisco SPA514G + PBX Server (Asterisk).

1. VoIP Provider - can I buy a cloud service ( for example Voyage Business Unlimited for £20) and setup Asterisk to use it or

2. I have to buy SIP Trunking with them and pay a monhtly fee + separate calls fee ?
By WelshPaul
When you say "Voyage Business Unlimited for £20", I presume you mean Voyage Business Unlimited for £20?

If it is then beware, Vonage tend to lock you into contracts, charge you early termination charges, disconnection fees, lock down their hardware and the price you see is usually not the price you pay. Notice how you can't order online? You have to "call now to order or request a call back". I recommend in this case that you best request a call back and discuss your requirements with them directly. If you do, please come back and let us all know what they said and how much they quoted you.

In the meantime, any reason why you want to setup your own asterisk PBX server and not use a 'hosted' or 'Virtual' PBX? From what you wrote above, it appears that you require six extensions? You would only be saving yourself around £6 a month. If Vonage offer the ability to register and use six phones on their unlimited offering at no extra cost then i'd recommend that you use their PBX. Have a read of this: http://www.voipfone.co.uk/premises_vs_hosted_pbx.php

If it helps, a hosted PBX consisting of six extensions and one UK geographical telephone number (DID) would cost around £8 a month. However, I must point out that unlimited calls to landlines and mobile are not included.

Finally, this may be of help: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=979&p=4265&hilit=unlimited#p4265
By MichelleMc
Hi Amstel

Some hosted providers (such as Blueface) won’t require you to set up an asterisk server. The system will be fully deployed via the cloud for around £10 per user per month.

This would mean setup might only consist of getting phones connected to the internet so it would be easy to get the business up and running.

Feel free to get in touch with us through our website for more information.
Have a great day!