If it's about VoIP, SIP or Internet Telephony but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, post it here.

Advertisement

By Sponsor
By WelshPaul
1. Well we can rule out your BT line and your DECT phones as the cause.

2. FYI, there is no need to to register the OBi110 to the OBitalk network. I never register mine as I configure them all locally by entering the IP address of the OBi110 into my web browser.

3. It sounds like the issue might be with the connection going from the OBi110's line port to your BT socket, maybe the cable, it could be a defective OBi110.

Enter the IP address of your OBi110 into your web browser and log in to it, navigate to Status > PHONE & LINE Status and you should see a page like this:
Screen Shot 2017-07-01 at 18.35.24.png
PHONE and LINE Port Status
Screen Shot 2017-07-01 at 18.35.24.png (66.18 KiB) Viewed 202 times
With your OBi110 connected to your BT line, what does yours show?

Advertisement

By Sponsor
By PaulRB
I re-started the Obi and checked that page again:
OBi110_Port_Status_1.png
OBi110 Port status
OBi110_Port_Status_1.png (8.73 KiB) Viewed 7 times
I don't know what it means by "ringing". If I plug the DECT phone back into the master socket, it does not start ringing. I can press dial and hear the BT dial tone.
Last edited by PaulRB on Sat 1st July 2017, 18:55, edited 1 time in total.
By WelshPaul
No need to restart the device. Simply disconnect the OBi110 from your BT line and reload the page...

Once disconnected from the BT line do you see the same stats as displayed in my post here?
By PaulRB
With the Obi disconnected from the master socket, I see:
OBi110_Port_Status_2.png
OBi110 Port status
OBi110_Port_Status_2.png (8.87 KiB) Viewed 5 times
So it looks the same as yours, yes.

By the way, thanks for all your patient help! You deserve a beer, even if we never get this working.
Last edited by PaulRB on Sat 1st July 2017, 19:00, edited 1 time in total.
By WelshPaul
PaulRB wrote: Sat 1st July 2017, 18:58 By the way, thanks for all your patient help! You deserve a beer, even if we never get this working.
Ah, no worries. I enjoy it. :-D

The good news is that your OBi110 isn't faulty, the issue is with the cable that comes from the OBi110's line port and connects to your BT line.

What cable are you using?
By PaulRB
WelshPaul wrote: Sat 1st July 2017, 19:00 What cable are you using?
Ah, excellent diagnosing skills, Paul! Its a cable I already had from another old corded phone. It works fine with that phone. But... looking at it, I think it might have a rather peculiar set of connections. On the RJ11 end, I can see 3 wires are connected, to the outer two contacts and only one of the inner two contacts. The other inner contact is not connected. I think I need to buy another cable...
By WelshPaul
Lots of people do this, guilty of it myself in the early days. It's a common problem that could be easily avoided if Obihai (and others) included the correct cable for the country their product is sold in! It would also work out cheaper for us end users as the manufacturer would be buying them in bulk and as a result only increasing the overall cost of the device by pence rather than pounds when compared to buying one ourselves. And that's if you purchase the right cable first time around! :(

When testing I used this: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1086&start=15#p4725

EDIT: Come to think about it, supplying the correct cable for the UK shouldn't really increase the overall price of the device because they wouldn't be including the current RJ11 to RJ11 cable.
By PaulRB
Right. I managed to find an rj11 to rj11 cable with all 4 connections.

I used the cable from the DECT phone (BT plug to RJ11) to connect the Obi to the master socket. I used the rj11 to rj11 cable to connect the Obi to the DECT phone. Voila! I can press ## on the DECT phone and hear the BT dial tone. I can call my mobile from the DECT phone and it rings. I can call the BT line from my mobile and the DECT phone rings. However, when I hang up on the mobile, the DECT phone carries on ringing for several seconds, in a strange way... I guess this is because I am now not using the adaptor with the ringing cap in it?

So, back to eBay or Amazon for another cable. And a few more days delay...
By WelshPaul
PaulRB wrote: Sat 1st July 2017, 19:25 However, when I hang up on the mobile, the DECT phone carries on ringing for several seconds, in a strange way... I guess this is because I am now not using the adaptor with the ringing cap in it?
Most likely yes. :beaten:

My BT corded phone that I use for testing just rings continuously when connecting it to an OBi directly using an RJ11 to RJ11. This is why I always recommend that people purchase the correct cables and adapters. I know it's a pain, it's down right annoying, but failure to do so usually results in issues such as those experienced by yourself tonight.
By PaulRB
WelshPaul wrote: Tue 27th June 2017, 22:57 You should be using one of these to connect a telephone to the OBi110's phone port.
Hi again Paul. I'm still fighting with cables!

I purchased an adaptor using that exact link you gave me. But it does not look like I expected, when I look at the contacts inside the socket. Could you please compare these pics to yours and confirm they match?
RJ11>BT.jpg
RJ11 to BT Adapter
RJ11>BT.jpg (96.9 KiB) Viewed 5 times
rj11_2pin.jpg
RJ11 2 Pin Plug
rj11_2pin.jpg (122.29 KiB) Viewed 5 times
The reason I ask is: I also purchased this new 4-wire straight RJ11 to BT cable. I bought this to connect the Obi100's line socket to the BT master socket. Then I connect the adaptor to the Obi's Phone socket and plug the DECT phone into the adaptor using the DECT phone's original RJ11 to BT cable. But with this arrangement, I can't get a dial tone on the DECT phone.

I checked the new RJ11 to BT cable with my multimeter and confirmed it is connected straight accross for all 4 pins as shown in this pic:
0be34380082ba0d26a6b9dad0fc4ab3b.jpg
RJ11 to BT cable
0be34380082ba0d26a6b9dad0fc4ab3b.jpg (147.14 KiB) Viewed 5 times
By WelshPaul
PaulRB wrote: I purchased an adaptor using that exact link you gave me. But it does not look like I expected, when I look at the contacts inside the socket. Could you please compare these pics to yours and confirm they match?
RJ11>BT.jpg
rj11_2pin.jpg
This is indeed the correct adaptor and I can confirm that it matches all of mine (I have about 50 of them).
PaulRB wrote: The reason I ask is: I also purchased this new 4-wire straight RJ11 to BT cable. I bought this to connect the Obi100's line socket to the BT master socket. Then I connect the adaptor to the Obi's Phone socket and plug the DECT phone into the adaptor using the DECT phone's original RJ11 to BT cable. But with this arrangement, I can't get a dial tone on the DECT phone.

I checked the new RJ11 to BT cable with my multimeter and confirmed it is connected straight accross for all 4 pins as shown in this pic:
0be34380082ba0d26a6b9dad0fc4ab3b.jpg
There is an issue with your new 4-wire straight BT to RJ11 cable. If you compare the above 4-wire straight BT to RJ11 cable to what I posted here, you will see that your cable routes like so:
  • BT Pin 2 > RJ11 pin 5
  • BT Pin 5 > RJ11 pin 2
Where as mine routes like this:
  • BT Pin 2 > RJ11 pin 4
  • BT Pin 5 > RJ11 pin 3
Because of this, i'm pretty sure your OBi110 will not work with your PSTN line when using this cable. Maybe check the Status > PHONE & LINE Status page as before to confirm this? Also, any reason why you went with a 4-wire and not a 2-wire cable like you originally linked to?

Out of interest, does the DECT phone work if you connect it directly to the PSTN line? If it does, unplug it and connect it to the BT to RJ11 adapter, connect the BT to RJ11 adapters RJ11 plug to the phone port on the OBi and dial *** or **9222222222, anything happen?
By PaulRB
WelshPaul wrote: Mon 10th July 2017, 22:27 Also, any reason why you went with a 4-wire and not a 2-wire cable like you originally linked to?
No, must have been my turn for a long day that day! You absolutely did tell me what to buy but for some reason I forgot later and bought the wrong thing.

Most eBay/Amazon vendors don't go into pin-by-pin details. What description should I look for to get the cable you describe?

Apologies for not paying attention and making you explain it again to me!

Advertisement

By Sponsor

Just found out that the latest firmware build for …

Supported Products: OBi504vs OBi508vs Firm…

Supported Products: OBi200 OBi202 OBi300 OB…

These are unlocked and unbranded Snom 760 IP Phone…