If it's about VoIP, SIP or Internet Telephony but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, post it here.
By WelshPaul
A 2-wire crossover should work but I can't be 100% sure, get this. It matches the one I used when testing, 2 pin wired straight-through.
By PaulRB
WelshPaul wrote:
Tue 11th July 2017, 07:23
get this. It matches the one I used when testing, 2 pin wired straight-through.
Hi again Paul.

I purchased the item from that seller using the link you posted. The description says "It features 2 pins at both ends and is wired straight-through".

When it arrived, it had 4 pins at both ends and is just the same as the cable I purchased in error! Needless to say, it does not work with the Obi.

I have written to the seller on Amazon:
Hi, I have received the delivery, but it is the wrong item. The item's description says "It features 2 pins at both ends and is wired straight-through.". But the item I received has 4 pins wired at both ends. I tested it and found it does not work with the device I purchased it to use with (an Obihai Obi110). I purchased this specific item from you based on a recommendation from a friend who also has an Obi110 and also purchased the cable from you which does work. The cable I need should have pins 2 & 5 in the BT plug connected to pins 3 & 4 in the rj11 plug.

I wish to return the item I received. If you have the cable that matches the description, I would like an exchange, otherwise a refund. Please let me know.

Thanks, etc
I'll keep you posted!
By WelshPaul
How annoying! You must be fed up of this by now? All my Amazon purchases have been fulfilled by Amazon but you should still get a full refund and the seller should pay the return postage costs. Even so, what a waste of time! Bit of a long shot this, do you have an old Sky box laying around? The BT to RJ11 cable that used to be supplied with these should work with the OBi110.
By PaulRB
I'm not in a rush. I sent them some pics of the cable today, We'll see what they say.

No old cables like that around. Before we moved house, I had a big clear-out and threw a lot away. Had to be brutal because we temporarily moved into a smaller rented property while our house was being refurbished.

BTW, I paid up to become a forum member. After the patience and help you have given me, I needed to show my appreciation.
By WelshPaul
PaulRB wrote:
Mon 17th July 2017, 20:41
No old cables like that around. Before we moved house, I had a big clear-out and threw a lot away. Had to be brutal because we temporarily moved into a smaller rented property while our house was being refurbished.
Lost count of the times that I've had something in a cupboard for years gathering dust only to throw it out and then, a few weeks later I'm turning the house upside down hoping and praying I still have it. :omg:
PaulRB wrote:
Mon 17th July 2017, 20:41
BTW, I paid up to become a forum member. After the patience and help you have given me, I needed to show my appreciation.
Thanks Paul, thats very kind of you. You're the second member in the past 72 hours to purchase one. I'm trying to raise some funds in order to help pay the ever increasing costs incurred by myself keeping this site online. :thumbsup:
By PaulRB
Newsflash: I now have land-line broadband! It was switched on today and I was genuinely surprised but delighted to find it actually works. I have been trying to get it for 15+ years at this property, but Openreach engineers visited the property at least twice in that time and confirmed that ADSL was never going to work, I was too far from the exchange. Now we have FTTC / VSDL, it finally works!

Download speed is now around 13~14Mbps, where it was around 8~9Mbps on 4G. Plus, its unlimited, vs. a 32GB/month cap.

Upload speed is, however, down dramatically. The 4G upload speed was around 10Mbps. Impressive, but of little value, as I'm not in the habit of uploading massive files on a daily basis. On the landline it is around 1.3Mbps. Maybe this will improve over the coming days.

Am I right in saying that even 1.3Mbps upstream is more than enough for VoIP? I imagine that would need only perhaps 64Kbps, perhaps less with modern compression techniques.

Can you advise me on something? I have a modern NTE5 master socket, and no extension sockets in the house. The new router and the DECT phone are plugged in via the VDSL filter that came with the router. Question is, will I get any speed/stability benefits from fitting a VDSL faceplace onto the master socket? Given there are no extension sockets, I wonder if I would gain anything, other than neatness of wiring.
By WelshPaul
PaulRB wrote:
Wed 19th July 2017, 21:50
Newsflash: I now have land-line broadband! It was switched on today and I was genuinely surprised but delighted to find it actually works.
Whoa, you kept that quiet! :-o
PaulRB wrote:
Am I right in saying that even 1.3Mbps upstream is more than enough for VoIP?
Unless you're planning on having 200 simultaneous calls regularly then yea, it's more than enough to make a VoIP call or two. Not sure what router you have but I would consider configuring QOS and giving priority to VoIP calls. If you don't, anyone uploading large files or gaming will likely cause your VoIP calls to break up.
PaulRB wrote:
Can you advise me on something? I have a modern NTE5 master socket, and no extension sockets in the house. The new router and the DECT phone are plugged in via the VDSL filter that came with the router. Question is, will I get any speed/stability benefits from fitting a VDSL faceplace onto the master socket? Given there are no extension sockets, I wonder if I would gain anything, other than neatness of wiring.
I don't think it will make any difference. Also, by fitting a VDSL faceplace to the front of the NTE5 master socket, if a fault occurs it makes it more difficult to diagnose. So much easier to just unplug the VDSL filter and try with another or without.
By PaulRB
Thanks Paul, I won't bother with a faceplate then.

Now... what do you make of this latest reply I got from the cable vendor you suggested on Amazon?
Hi,

Many thanks for your email.

We have once again checked with our warehouse department and it turns out you are likely to receive the same item if we are to send a replacement item to you as they confirmed this item was listed wrongly.

We would however return your payments to you to prevent further delays.

Regards.

Customer Service
ArmcoShop
I interpret this as "even though we realise we made a mistake when we listed the item, we will probably make the same mistake again and send you the wrong item for a second time even though we know it would be a mistake and its not the one you need".

Do you use this vendor a lot? I am going to ask for my money back, and restrain myself from commenting on their customer service.
By WelshPaul
PaulRB wrote:
Thu 20th July 2017, 20:21
Do you use this vendor a lot? I am going to ask for my money back, and restrain myself from commenting on their customer service.
I have never used that vendor myself or recommended them to anyone before. I simply went to amazon.co.uk and did a search for the correct cable that you require. The link I provided in my previous post was the result of the first (and cheapest) item in the search list.

Send it back for a refund but make sure they pay the return postage! I would also leave appropriate feedback warning others so that the same thing doesn't happen to others. Their feedback appeared rating was good when I checked out the item so I assumed they were a good choice.
Returns – right of withdrawal

You can return a Marketplace order within 30 days from delivery, exercising your right of withdrawal. Please refer to the Amazon.co.uk Return Policy or contact GiftLocalUK to get information about any additional policies that may apply:

Contact this seller Phone:0-780-788-1137

To initiate a return, visit Amazon’s Online Return Center to request a return authorization from the seller.
For questions about a charge that has been made to your credit card, please contact Amazon. Questions about how to place an order? Search Amazon Help.

A to Z Guarantee

Place and pay for your Marketplace order through Amazon.co.uk and your purchase is protected by the A-to-z Safe Buying Guarantee. Amazon automatically transfers your payment to the merchant so you'll never need to pay a merchant directly. Our A-to-z Safe Buying Guarantee covers both the delivery of your item and its condition upon receipt. Read more

Legal warranty

If a product turns out to be faulty or not as advertised, you may be entitled to free of charge repair, replacement or refund. Read more on legal warranty.
By WelshPaul
PaulRB wrote:
Thu 20th July 2017, 21:16
Apologies Paul, I wrongly assumed they were the vendor you got your cables for the Obi from.
I have purchased various cables in the past but many of the cables I have in my possession today came from various devices I have owned over the years.

I was reading a post over on the Obihai forum and some UK members have stated that they have used 2-pin crossover BT to RJ11 cables with their OBi's. In theory these should work, I will try and find one in the morning and give it a go.
By PaulRB
PaulRB wrote:
Sat 10th June 2017, 13:26
The broadband situation may soon change, I hope, since our green roadside cabinet has recently been "fibered-up". I am currently exploring going over to landline broadband, as soon as I can be reasonably sure I won't loose my landline number in the process.
I got the address situation sorted, finally, so that EE could request transfer of our landline number. Even after that, I rated the chances of broadband working at around 50%, given the previous failed attempts and comments made by Openreach engineers in the past about the decrepit state of the ~2Km cables between our property and the green box.

Also one of our immediate neighbours recently placed an order (they had no existing landline). The Openreach engineer visited, attempted to connect the neighbour but left saying he had failed to make it work. Never did manage to find out the reason for that (neighbour is not technically minded, so anything the engineer did say at the time was not understood). I will encourage my neighbour to try again now.
By WelshPaul
WelshPaul wrote:
Thu 20th July 2017, 21:28
I was reading a post over on the Obihai forum and some UK members have stated that they have used 2-pin crossover BT to RJ11 cables with their OBi's. In theory these should work, I will try and find one in the morning and give it a go.
Unfortunately I don't have any crossover cables. All of mine are wired straight-through so i'm unable to confirm if a crossover cable works or not. :dunno: