If it's about VoIP, SIP or Internet Telephony but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, post it here.
100 %
By andywit
Currently we’re an unimpressed (outages)Virgin Media cable client with VM landline phone and unused VM TV, which costs us over £60 per month.

Our household has four smart phones, 1 iPhone & 3 Androids, each on seperate contracts. The existing VM landline uses a Gigaset C300A base and three Gigaset C300 handsets. For the next year or two we also have two big data downloaders, combined use is roughly 100 Gb monthly.

We’d like to significantly reduce our monthly cost by eliminating the VM TV and maybe the phone, however the VM landline is “useful” to receive and make calls to/from elderly relatives :)

Here are our questions:-

How can we have a new VOIP “landlne” routed through our VM “super router”?
Will our smart phones be able to make/answer the new VOIP landline calls?
Is it possible to retain our existing VM phone number?

Thanks in advance for your help :)
By CJT-80
andywit wrote: Mon 11th September 2017, 09:14
Here are our questions:-

How can we have a new VOIP “landlne” routed through our VM “super router”?
Will our smart phones be able to make/answer the new VOIP landline calls?
Is it possible to retain our existing VM phone number?

Thanks in advance for your help :)
Good Morning andywit

Virgin Media are one of the few providers who do provide an "internet only" service. That's without a landline.

If you intend to stay with VM, then here are a few pointers:

Do you need an incoming landline number for relatives? I think you said you did)

What Speeds can you get from VM in your area?

Now to answer your questions:

How can we have a new VOIP “landlne” routed through our VM “super router”? - I run a Panasonic SIP phone through my VM Super Hub without any issues. Paul (WelshPaul) is very knowledgeable about this.

Will our smart phones be able to make/answer the new VOIP landline calls? - Technically yes and no. I have used Zoiper before https://www.zoiper.com/, and it works on both Android and iOS.

Is it possible to retain our existing VM phone number? - I believe that depends on which VoIP provider you move to.
By WelshPaul
andywit wrote: Mon 11th September 2017, 09:14How can we have a new VOIP “landlne” routed through our VM “super router”?
Use an Analogue telephone adapter (ATA). I recommend this one.

How it works:
  1. Connect the ATA to your VM “super router” via Ethernet cable or WiFi (Additional OBiWiFi5G adapter required for WiFi connectivity).
  2. Connect a traditional corded or DECT phone to the ATA.
  3. Configure the ATA with your VoIP providers credentials.
That's it!
andywit wrote: Mon 11th September 2017, 09:14Will our smart phones be able to make/answer the new VOIP landline calls?
Yes.
andywit wrote: Mon 11th September 2017, 09:14Is it possible to retain our existing VM phone number?
You should be able to port your number over to most VoIP companies. It's not free, usually costs around the £20 mark, then there is an ongoing monthly charge of around £2 per month (depending you you go with) for the number. Obviously you have to pay for any calls you make too.

For example, if you were to move your existing VM landline number to Voipfone, it's going to cost you:
  • £20 (plus VAT) to port your number over to Voipfone
  • £2 (plus VAT) a month for your number
Call charges:
  • 1 pence per minute (excluding VAT) to landlines
  • 10 pence per minute (excluding VAT) to mobiles
You also get calling features such as "caller display", "call divert" and "call waiting" for free. There are no contracts, no minimum term, no credit checks and best of all, you save the best part of £17 a month! :-D

Have a read of this page, it contains some useful information about number porting.
CJT-80 liked this
By WelshPaul
andywit wrote: Mon 11th September 2017, 16:13 Thanks for the information :) I have done both a wired and a wireless speedtest see below

While both your speed and latency is suitable for VoIP, the latency on your wireless test (second image?) is a little on the high side. A latency of 20-30 ms is normal for IP calls and 150 ms is barely noticeable and therefore acceptable. However, any higher than that and the quality starts to diminish; 300 ms or higher and it becomes completely unacceptable.

This is my VM wireless speed test, although my Super Hub 2 is in modem only mode and I'm using an Asus RT-AC88U router:

By andywit

Another wireless test seems less jittery this morning :grinning:

Thanks again, both, for all of your help. I've got some thinking and persuading to do now to get my "inhouse" clients on the same page.

I like the ATA idea but have one or two issues with its position & the "super router" location. Maybe we could opt for the wireless option but I'd rather try it out then attempt the wireless step change after we have proved it all wired first.
WelshPaul, CJT-80 liked this
System advice?

OK, I have it setup and configured correctly. I ha…

[private post]

Sipgate UK Call Package

So just like Voipfone, Sipgate offer various calli…

@praful patel all you need to do is port your …