If it's about VoIP, SIP or Internet Telephony but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, post it here.
Hi all, newbie here struggling to get his head around moving a longstanding landline number to VOIP.

The scenario is that we hardly ever use our landline for making calls, but still receive quite a few calls as we have had the same landline number for 25 years so it is well known by many friends and businesses.

What I would like to do is port this existing landline number to SIPGate so I can continue to receive inbound calls on the old number and make a limited number cost effective outbound calls. Doing this paves the way for a possible medium to long term move away from having a landline completely. (I am looking at WISP or 5G providers for my broadband).

But as I understand it, if I submit a request to get the landline number ported from Plusnet to SIPGate, this will result in Plusnet cancelling my combined broadband/phone contract. Is this the case? I can't seem to get an answer from Plusnet on this.

Is there a way around this and what sequence of steps would be needed? Has anyone faced a similar scenario and found a solution?

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment!!
lohr500 wrote:
Mon 2nd Mar 2020, 17:39
if I submit a request to get the landline number ported from Plusnet to SIPGate, this will result in Plusnet cancelling my combined broadband/phone contract. Is this the case?
Plusnet will indeed cancel your broadband service along with your landline if you were to port your Plusnet landline number to any other telecoms provider. :pensive:
I feared as much.

So the next question is this :

What happens to the line if you cancel a landline based service and then try to set up a new service with a different provider?
Where does the old line get terminated and who can plug it back in, so to speak?
Would I get charged a full Openreach line install fee
Hi @lohr500 and welcome to the forums.
lohr500 wrote: What happens to the line if you cancel a landline based service and then try to set up a new service with a different provider?
Where does the old line get terminated and who can plug it back in, so to speak?
Would I get charged a full Openreach line install fee
  1. The landline will still physically remain in the property and will likely still have a dial tone but you won't be able to make or receive calls on it. Plusnet will simply cancel your account and send you a final bill.
  2. Openreach used to terminate a line physically at the exchange but they don't do that anymore (usually). The phone line is simply barred from making and receiving calls at an account level in the exchange and thus makes it easier (and cheaper for Openreach) to reactivate the line at a later date.
  3. If you were to re-connect the old line then installation fee's will vary provider to provider. BT's website states the following:
    How much does it cost to install a new BT phone line or reconnect an old one?
    If you are taking a BT Infinity package, then we won't charge you for installing or reconnecting your line. If you are taking a BT Broadband package, then we will charge you £30 for installing a new line. These charges apply whether or not you add BT TV to your package.

If you are ordering a BT Phone package, you may have to pay a connection charge but we'll let you know when you order. There is usually a £70 fee for activating an existing line that is provided by BT or another provider, and a £140 fee for installing a new line.
    https://www.bt.com/landline/
VoipIT liked this

Hi @VoipIT , I will try to keep my reply short and t…

Newbie help!

Hello Richard, A good solution for you would be yay.c…

Before you go any further have a read of this: https://…

A few years has passed since my original post and thing…