If it's about VoIP, SIP or Internet Telephony but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, post it here.
By rogerd
Posts Avatar Topics
I'm a bit of a newbie to VOIP but I've managed to setup a Linksys SPA2102 which works fine if I use a standard BT wired instrument on the phone port. However, it would be of more use to me if I could use a cordless phone and this is where I have problems. I've used a BT Freestyle unit but this gives me a permanent "On Hook" status. Using an Amplicomms cordless unit Powertel 711 gives me a permanent "Off Hook" status and no dial tone (but seems to be a constant off hook pulsing tone). Both these units work fine on a standard POTS installation using RJ11 to BT adaptor leads.

All phones (including the BT wired phone) all have RJ11 sockets so I'm using standard 4 wire RJ11 to RJ11 to connect phones to SPA2102 adaptor.

Anybody know what I'm doing wrong please?

RogerD
By WelshPaul
Posts Signature Likes Avatar Topics
You need to use the RJ11 to BT cable supplied with the DECT phone and you will need one of these.

Do not buy a cheap one off eBay as they are usually missing the ring capacitor and don't always work.
BT DECT Phone - No Line
By WelshPaul
Yes, providing you wire it correctly of course...
wikipedia wrote:Typically it will have a 6P4C or 6P2C modular connector 7 at the telephone end: this latter may be wired as per the RJ11 standard (with pins 3 and 4), or it may be wired with pins 2 and 5, as a straight through cable 4 from the BT plug (which uses pins 2 and 5 for the line, unlike RJ11, which uses pins 3 and 4). Thus cables are not in general compatible between different phones, as the phone base may have a socket with pins 2 and 5 (requiring a straight through cable), or have an RJ11 socket (requiring a crossover cable 3).
By WelshPaul
It's an annoyance that I have experienced many times myself. 😆

This post might help you somewhat: WelshPaul @ Obi202 to phone extension

Good Luck 👍
Sipgate Basic and multiple SIP clients

Ok, thanks. Was worried that using the same sip user in…

Your device was probably listed on Cisco's provisioning…

This means it is very dangerous to post here other t…

https://www.ukvoipforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=58#p5950