If it's about VoIP, SIP or Internet Telephony but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, post it here.
By CJT-80
Posts Signature Likes Avatar Topics
Hello All,

I appreciate it's been a while since I last posted.

I was wonderinf if anyone (maybe @WelshPaul ) could help me out?

I volunteer for a small organisation, and they previously used one of the directors mobile numbers for their contact number, this resulted in said director (who also volunteers) being inundated with calls, asking for information that's on their website and facebook page (where the number could be found), understandably he has now removed his number.

This got me thinking, is there a way to set up a VoIP number (local dialling code) that goes to an IVR menu, where callers can select the option they need (1 - Opening times, 2 - Directions etc) but for next to no cost?

Could the number be obtained from say SipGate Basic?
How would the IVR be "hosted"?

The site the organisation is based at has no fixed line internet and the mobile reception is poor, however IF something could be ran via a members Broadband connection that could also work.

Any idea's?

Thanks in advance.
By WelshPaul
Cheapest option in the long run would be to obtain a Free Sipgate Basic number and buy a Raspberry Pi and have it run FreePBX. All you need to do is setup a trunk to register against the Sipgate Basic account and create an IVR menu with as many IVR options as you need.

An Example:
  • Press one for our opening hours - Have it play a pre-recorded message informing the caller of your opening hours.
  • Press two for for directions - Have it play a pre-recorded message message informing the caller with directions.
  • Press three to speak to CJT80 - Have it ring your mobile.
Sounds complicated but it really isn't. ๐Ÿ™‚
By CJT-80
WelshPaul wrote: โ†‘Thu 21st Apr 2022, 23:03 Cheapest option in the long run would be to obtain a Free Sipgate Basic number and buy a Raspberry Pi and have it run FreePBX. All you need to do is setup a trunk to register against the Sipgate Basic account and create an IVR menu with as many IVR options as you need.

An Example:
  • Press one for our opening hours - Have it play a pre-recorded message informing the caller of your opening hours.
  • Press two for for directions - Have it play a pre-recorded message message informing the caller with directions.
  • Press three to speak to CJT80 - Have it ring your mobile.
Sounds complicated but it really isn't. ๐Ÿ™‚
@WelshPaul Amazing! I am sure I have a Raspberry PI I don't use around somewhere.

Would the Raspberry PI just be located at someones house to provide the internet connection?

PS I edited the title as I mispelt Solution
By WelshPaul
CJT-80 wrote: Would the Raspberry PI just be located at someones house to provide the internet connection?
Yea, stick it anywhere where there is an internet connection. ๐Ÿ™‚

Download RasPBX from here, and flash it to an SD card and then pop it in your Raspberry PI. Boot up, log in, check for updates, setup a trunk and configure the IVR menu. You won't need access from the outside world and so there is no need to worry about configuring any additional security measures etc.
CJT-80 liked this
By CJT-80
WelshPaul wrote: โ†‘Fri 22nd Apr 2022, 10:07
CJT-80 wrote: Would the Raspberry PI just be located at someones house to provide the internet connection?
Yea, stick it anywhere where there is an internet connection. ๐Ÿ™‚

Download RasPBX from here, and flash it to an SD card and then pop it in your Raspberry PI. Boot up, log in, check for updates, setup a trunk and configure the IVR menu. You won't need access from the outside world and so there is no need to worry about configuring any additional security measures etc.
Amazing, thanks @WelshPaul , now to find that Raspberry Pi, that may take a while, but there's no immediate hurry. Will it work on older models?
By WelshPaul
The latest image supports Pi 4, Pi 3 and Pi 2 (Pi 1 and Pi zero no longer supported). So unless you have a Pi 1 or Pi zero you will be good! ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿ‘
CJT-80 liked this

My HT801 was configured for another UK provider. I rea…

Sip to PSTN lines gateway

Hi All I am looking for a gateway that will allow a le…

Hi all! We have Cisco 7941 phones that we are battlein…

TalkTalk -residential VOIP

Do not touch it. No incomming caller ID no call rou…