If it's about VoIP, SIP or Internet Telephony but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, post it here.
By VOIPNovice1
Posts Avatar Topics
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem I'm having calling out from my Sipgate Basic account.

I'm new to setting up anything VOIP related but everything seemed to be going ok in the early stages.

I bought a Grandstream HT801 adaptor, set up a Sipgate Basic account, added funds to it and had Virgin port my number to them.

I can now receive incoming calls to my old number and that works fine.

If I dial the Sipgate test numbers (10000, 10005 & 100020) they all operate ok but the 10000 number tells me I need to add credit to my account (I don't know if that's a standard message everyone gets or if it believes I need to?).

Whenever I try to dial out to any other number (Landline, mobile, 0800), I just get the engaged tone.

I've emailed Sipgate for help but they've not assisted me so far, I've had an email back telling me they're short-staffed, then an email asking me to attempt more calls so they have fresh data to work with (which I've done) and an email telling me they've reset some stuff on the account (which did overcome a different problem with the account which had stopped me adding more credit but didn't help with the dialling.

They've yet to respond to the last couple of emails I sent them earlier in the week!

Just to be clear, I initally put £40 of credit on the account to ensure I had enough to cover the £30 porting fee. I tried to add another £10 but the account wouldn't let me add any more until they're 'reset' of things. This now allowed me to add another £10, so I currently have £20 of credit on the account, which they confirmed is enough for me to make calls.

I'm stick for where to go with this now short of porting my number again to a different provider and seeing of their service works better.

Any help gratefully received as I have an elderly in-law living with my wife and I who is cut off from the world without being able to call out.
By WelshPaul
Posts Signature Likes Avatar Topics
When I call the 10000 number I get a welcome to Sipgate message, your phone is correctly configured... It then goes on to tell me for calls to mobiles and fixed lines I need to add credit (I have credit). Is that what you hear?

Can you login to your Sipgate basic account via any web browser and check if have a positive credit balance available? My balance shows that I am in credit by £7.48.

If incoming calls work, and you hear the same message I do when dialling 10000 and you have a positive balance then it has to be a local configuration issue...
By VOIPNovice1
Posts Avatar Topics
Hi WelshPaul,

Thanks for reply.

I have logged in to my account multiple times and definitely have £20 of credit (plus the confirmatio from Sipgate that account has enough credit to be able to make a call).

I too get the message you describe.

If it's a local config problem I may be out of my depth as to what to look at, if the Grandstream is dialling out ok to the test numbers I'm not sure what would stop it making paid calls?
By WelshPaul
When looking at your device settings it can indeed be overwhelming. However, it all usually breaks down to three things... Account credentials, UK Settings and the dial plan...

If you're able to receive calls then your device is successfully registered against your Sipgate account, and so you have successfully configured your device with the correct Sipgate account info. So, let's now make sure that you have correctly configured your device with the correct UK settings. Have a read of this post: UK Regional Settings for Grandstream telephone adapters (ATA's).

Disclaimer - I'm not expecting the above link to resolve your issue, it's likely a dial plan issue, or Sipgate account problem but you should still configure your device with the correct UK parameters regardless. So, start by doing just this and we can then move on and correctly configured your device with a suitable dial plan.
By VOIPNovice1
Posts Avatar Topics
Hi,

I've followed the link you recommended and updated the settings to match those I found there.

To my inexperienced eye, some did look wrong as they seemed to be set for the USA.

I copied everything from the recommended setup and after I did I retried calling a couple of numbers.

As you suggested this hasn't cured my problems, indeed the test numbers also no longer worked.

I've changed the dial plan back to the original one I had in there and the test numbers now work again but no other numbers still.

I guess I need to know what I should be putting in as a dial plan next?
By WelshPaul
Give the following dial plan a go:
Code: Select all
{ 10[15] | 11[129] | 999 | 1471 | 10000 | 10005 | 10020 | 50000 | 11[68]xxx | 08001111 | 0845464x | <=01792>[2-9]xxxxx | <141=14101792>141[2-9]xxxxx | <1470=147001792>1470[2-9]xxxxx | 0[1235789]xxxxxxxxx | 1410[1235789]xxxxxxxxx | 14700[1235789]xxxxxxxxx | 00xxx. | x+ | \+x+ | *x+ | *xx*x+ }
Replace all three 01792 entries with your own area code!
By VOIPNovice1
Posts Avatar Topics
Hi,

I've entered the dial plan and retested.

Unfortunately, still no ability to dial out to a landline or mobile number.

The dial plan lets me call the Sipgate 10000 test line with no problem but nothing else that I can think to try?

I'm not sure what else can be adjusted?
By WelshPaul
Hmm, only thing let to try is to disable SIP ALG on your router... I'm not so sure this is the cause though, you're able to receive calls and make external calla to the Sipgate test numbers, correct? It appears that the issue is only present when you try to make chargeable external calls. This is likely a Sigate account issue. Have you tried calling a freephone number? 0800 etc...

If it was me, I would try disabling SIP ALG. If that doesn't work, try a factory reset! Setup the device a new with the UK Settings and Dial Plan as per this thread. If you still can't make external calls then I'm confident it's a Sipgate account issue.
By VOIPNovice1
Posts Avatar Topics
Ok, thanks.
I have tried 0800 numbers and just tried numbers like 1471 to see what happens but all just give me the engaged tone.

I'll look up how to do the SIP ALG setting and see what happens as nothing to lose, then it's a factory reset.

Beyond that I'm stuck with trying to get Sipgate to answer my emails but they still haven't replied to the last two emails I sent middle of last week so I'm not holding my breath!

If I have to switch to a different provider and port my number again I will, does anybody know of a company with good tech support that's contactable easily?
By WelshPaul
If it was a local network issue then I would expect all outbound calls to fail and or inbound.

Did this happen only after your number port completed?
By VOIPNovice1
Posts Avatar Topics
Hi,
Unfortunately, as Sipgate weren't that quick at coming back to me while I was setting the account up, I wasn't able to successfully make a call before the number ported, so I don't know if this affected it?

I'm just about to try defaulting the router and starting from scratch.

I'm also going to email the helpdesk at Toob (my fibre provider) as there isn't a SIP ALG setting in the router they supply, so I'll ask if there's a way to disable it (if it's on).

For reference, all incoming calls still working perfectly, all outgoing calls just give the engaged tone, except those to the Sipgate test numbers which work fine.

I'll update after the defaulting is complete, just in case this helps others that may look here in the future.
By WelshPaul
I'm confident that it isn't a router/NAT issue because you can receive calls and make calls to the Sipgate test numbers.

Maybe try factory reseting the HT801 and set it back up a new?

After resetting, apply the UK Configuration but leave the dial plan alone. Now try and make a call - It will take a good few seconds before the HT801 initiates the call because you're using the default dial plan, but it should call out. If it does not, I' certain the issue is with the Sipgate account and not your setup.

There is an option located within your Sipgate Basic account to configure an automatic area code... You haven't altered that right? My account looks like this:

Also, located within the Settings page of your Sipgate Basic account you will see a section called "Telephone Service". Does it say there that your sipgate basic telephone service is active?
By VOIPNovice1
Posts Avatar Topics
Ok, so the next instalment.........

I loaded the Grandstream Wave app on to a mobile and set it up using my Sipgate account details.
This worked and allowed me to make and receive calls on the mobile as if it was my home phone.
This confirmed that my Sipgate account was working ok.

I then took your advise and defaulted my adaptor.
This time I ignored all the setup info on the Sipgate website and used only the info from the link you sent me above in this thread.
I left the default dial plan in as well.

IT WORKED!!! :smile:

I can now make and receive calls on my landline.

I guess the only thing left to do is to setup a dial plan that allows me to make local calls without using the full prefix etc.?

Thanks again for all the support and assistance with this issue, without it I think I would've taken a hammer to the thing by now!!! :joy:

My HT801 was configured for another UK provider. I rea…

Sip to PSTN lines gateway

Hi All I am looking for a gateway that will allow a le…

Hi all! We have Cisco 7941 phones that we are battlein…

TalkTalk -residential VOIP

Do not touch it. No incomming caller ID no call rou…