If it's about VoIP, SIP or Internet Telephony but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, post it here.
By WelshPaul
Firstly, thanks to the generosity of Obihai and ObihaiMark for donating some of their hardware for me to test, review and with your input discuss here on the forums. I've started this thread for all OBihai 200 & 202 users to discuss the set up & configurations of the various devices, their available features, post any questions and generally share their findings and experiences.

Secondly, a few handy links:
And third, you can find some helpful guides as well as information on how to setup your OBihai device with full UK regional settings here.

Personally, when playing with new toys, I find the best way to learn is to do a little research and reading, change a parameter or two (after writing down the existing values) and then testing to see what works or breaks. By making a note of the existing parameter, I can revert back to a working state as opposed to making numerous undocumented changes and then forgetting what the original values were.

Then, if all else fails, I hit the forums.

These OBIHAI devices certainly are funky well built little units. :thumbsup:
By WelshPaul
I don't know if anyone has come across this brand before? OBihai has been created with the same Engineering team that started Komodo and invented the ATA, Komodo was sold to Cisco. Then Sipura was created which again was sold back to Cisco and the team went on to develop the range of SPA handset and Cisco ATAs on sale today.
OBi202.jpg
OBi202.jpg (34.45 KiB) Viewed 4167 times
So what makes this so different to other ATA's on the market today such as the Cisco SPAxxx range? Well I shall tell you...

There are a couple of unique features to the device that push this ahead of the Cisco SPAxx range in my opinion, firstly being the OBihai line of VoIP ATA's (Analogue Telephone Adapters) have a very unique feature which allows you to call directly from one OBihai ATA to any other OBihai ATA, for free, with zero configuration. And, this option alone makes the OBihai line of ATA's attractive, from my perspective. You can read more about this feature by clicking here.

That's right, just connect your OBi to an internet connection via Ethernet or WIFI (if using the OBiWiFi accessory), the mains and connect a telephone to the device and you can make calls to other OBihai users without so much as changing a single setting! :thumbsup:

The second is that the OBihai 200/202 ATA's have a USB port on the back, allowing you to connect accessories sold by OBihai. Accessories such as:
  • OBiWiFi — The Obihai OBiWiFi wireless adapter allows a USB-equipped OBi device to connect to the Internet over a Wi-Fi network. With OBiWiFi, you have the freedom to place the OBi VoIP phone adapter anywhere within range of your Wi-Fi network.
    OBiWiFi.JPG
    OBiWiFi.JPG (86.25 KiB) Viewed 4205 times
  • OBiBT — The Obihai OBiBT Bluetooth wireless adapter allows a USB-equipped OBi device to pair with a mobile phone so you can place calls and answer calls using any standard home phones connected to the OBi. The OBiBT works with most mobile phones using Bluetooth wireless technology.
    OBiBT.JPG
    OBiBT.JPG (125.05 KiB) Viewed 4205 times
  • OBiLINE — The Obihai OBiLINE adapter is a small add-on accessory that works with USB equipped OBi2 Series and OBi3 Series VoIP devices to provide PSTN (or POTS) connectivity to phones attached to the OBi as well as to calls bridged from VoIP services to a land-line service via the OBi.
    OBiLINE.JPG
    OBiLINE.JPG (113.37 KiB) Viewed 4205 times
So Instead of replacing your whole ATA just because later down the line you want to add the use of an FXO port to your device you simply purchase the OBiLINE and plug one end into the devices USB port and the other into your PTSN socket. :clap:

Note: All photographs were taken by me, hardware shown in the above photographs were donated by OBihai. The hardware and any or all accessories shown may be subject to change and what you see may not be what you get come the final UK release.
By WelshPaul
Ok so the first thing I did was connect the supplied Ethernet cable to the Internet port on the rear of the device and connected the other end into my router, plugged a dect telephone into the Phone 1 port using the supplied rj11 to rj11 cable (im not using any rj11 to BT converters) and finally I connected the supplied UK mains adaptor and powered it up.

Now that everything is plugged in and we have power the first thing I wanted to do was get this baby setup with my VoIP provider and make a test call! So here is how I setup Line 1 with Voipfone:

After trying to access the web interface on my browser without success I come to the conclusion that the web interface was in fact disabled by default! :thumbsdown:

You can however enable the web interface by following this simple guide: http://www.ukvoipforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=176

Now that the web interface is enabled you can log in to the ATA via any web browser by entering it's ip address into the URL, in my case it's 192.168.1.155. When prompted enter the default username & password – admin/admin. If you're not certain of the devices IP address, just pick up the receiver and dial ***1 for the IVR to playback the IP address.

You will see the System Status page:
System_Status.png
System_Status.png (83.23 KiB) Viewed 4209 times
So now that we have access to the web interface we can go ahead and setup Line 1, to do this we need add a VoIP service provider (which in my case is Voipfone) to the ITSP Profile A located under the Service Providers tab on the left hand side of the web interface. before you can edit any of the fields you need to remove the tick from the Default Checkbox's:
Service_Providers.png
Service_Providers.png (91.48 KiB) Viewed 4209 times
In the above screenshot you can see that I have filled out the following fields:

General
  • Name: Voipfone (I have called it Voipfone as this is the name of my VoIP Provider but you can name it anything you want)
  • DTMFMethod: RFC2833 (This is Voipfone's supported DTMF Method)
  • DigitMap: (112S0|123S0|150S0|152S0|154S0|155S0|156S0|166S0|2xxS2|999S0|1471S0|157S0|1572S0|118xxxS0|!09x.|00[1-9]x.|<01792>[2-8]xxxxxS2|0[1-9]xxxxxxxxxS0|3xxxxxxxS2|3xxxxxxx*xxxS0|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.) (A custom dialplan for use with Voipfone that allows local calling without the need for me to enter my local area code, very similar to the Linksys/Cisco dialplan)
Service Provider Info
  • Name: Voipfone (Optional, leave blank if you want or enter the name of the VoIP provider)
  • URL: http://www.voipfone.co.uk (Optional, leave blank if you want or enter the web address of the VoIP provider)
  • ContactPhoneNumber: 020 7043 5555 (Optional, leave blank if you want or enter the phone number of the VoIP provider)
  • EmailAddress: support@voipfone.co.uk (Optional, leave blank if you want or enter the email address of the VoIP provider)
Now that we have filled out the above fields we need to click on the Submit Button located on the bottom of the page!

Moving on, on the left hand side under Service Providers ---> ITSP Profile A click on SIP:
Service_Providers_SIP.png
Service_Providers_SIP.png (128.72 KiB) Viewed 4209 times
Again, In the above screenshot you can see that I have filled out the following fields:

SIP
  • ProxyServer: sip.voipfone.net
  • RegisterExpires: 60
Everything else on that page is at their default values. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the SUBMIT button:
Service_Providers_SIP_Submit.png
Service_Providers_SIP_Submit.png (114.47 KiB) Viewed 4209 times
Next, on the left hand side under Voice Services ---> SP1 Service:
Voice_Services_SP1 Service.png
Voice_Services_SP1 Service.png (114.8 KiB) Viewed 4209 times
Again, In the above screenshot you can see that the only change made was to the:

SP1 Service
  • X_NoRegNoCall: Ticked Box
Now scroll down the page to the SIP Credentials section:
Voice_Services_SP1 Service_SIP Credentials.png
Voice_Services_SP1 Service_SIP Credentials.png (128.25 KiB) Viewed 4209 times
This is where you need to enter your User ID and Passowrd, for example:

SIP Credentials
  • AuthUserName: 30000000*202
  • AuthPassword: 123456
Everything else on that page is at their default values. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the SUBMIT button.

And finally, on the left hand side under Physical Interfaces ---> PHONE1 Port:
Physical_Interfaces_PHONE1_Port.png
Physical_Interfaces_PHONE1_Port.png (107.22 KiB) Viewed 4209 times
Again, In the above screenshot you can see that I have filled out the following fields:

PHONE Port
  • ToneOnPrimaryServiceDown: NO TONE (If the service is down and you pick up the phone you will not hear any dial tone)
Ringer
  • RingFrequency: 25 (In the UK the correct value is 25)
Port Setting
  • Impedance : 370+(620||310 nF) (In the UK the correct value is 370+(620||310 nF))
    CallerIDMethod: FSK(V.23) (In the UK the correct value is FSK(V.23))
Now scroll down the page to the Timers section:
Physical_Interfaces_PHONE1_Port_1.png
Physical_Interfaces_PHONE1_Port_1.png (118.75 KiB) Viewed 4208 times

Timers
  • HookFlashTimeMax: 200 (correct value for the UK)
  • HookFlashTimeMin: 60 (correct value for the UK)
  • CPCDelayTime: 10000 (correct value for the UK)
  • CPCDuration: 1000 (correct value for the UK)
  • DigitMapLongTimer: 6 (a personal choice of mine, leave at default value if you prefer)
Everything else on that page is at their default values. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the SUBMIT button.

That's it!!! All we need to do is Reboot the device by clicking on the Reboot button located on the top right of the web interface as seen below:
Physical_Interfaces_PHONE1_Port_2.png
Physical_Interfaces_PHONE1_Port_2.png (79.19 KiB) Viewed 4208 times
The device will reboot, once it has finished rebooting pick up the phone and dial 155 and you should hear a Voipfone confirmation message informing you that you have correctly setup your phone. :clap:
By WelshPaul
I have had a busy few days, but I can confirm the device has held a solid yet stable uptime. :)

One thing I wanted to point out to other UK users of these devices is as per the Cisco stuff you need to use an RJ11 to BT adaptor... http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/Sh ... uctID=2370

I had a couple of cheap ones from eBay laying around and initially I used those but sadly they were knackered, line two wouldn't work at all and line one was actually line 2! I thought the device was broken but after buying a few more RJ11 to BT adaptors from broadbandbuyer.co.uk this confirmed that it was the cheap eBay adaptors that were to blame. :thumbsdown:
The Obi supports all 4 pins on the RJ11 plug. In fact, it's not an RJ11, it's actually an RJ14 four-contact 6P4C. In the US, you can get 2 lines over one cable. The inside pins are line-1 and the outside pins are line 2. So if the Obi has a jack inserted into it's phone 1 port and it's wired with the outside pins, it will pick this up as line 2 and the inside pins as line 1.
My advice is stay away from cheap ebay cables and adaptors lol
By GoofyCyborg
Looks interesting, one of the reasons I hate moving from one manufacturer to another is all the hassle of learning how to create a dialplan and trying to configure it for UK compatibility.

I see the dialplan looks very similar to that of the Cisco/Linksys hardware, for me that's a winner in itself. :P

How well does it hold a registration?
By WelshPaul
Couldn't agree with you more, it holds a registration just fine. Tested it on Ethernet and Wifi with no problems or dropouts!

Have noticed though that if you set it up with Voipfone, change any settings and reboot the device it fails to register with Voipfone again until it is hard rebooted. (pull the mains plug for several seconds)

I must say this is not the case when testing with Sipgate, Voipfone have had a similar issue with Cisco / Linksys gear where the same thing happens.

I think it may be a Voipfone thing though.
By WelshPaul
Well folks I have to say I am finding it very hard to find any fault with this equipment at all, so far I have tested the device as a stand alone ATA, hard wired to my router... It just Works!

I have tested the OBiWiFi accessory and again it just works! No dropouts, zero audio problems and again it holds a registration just fine. (Voipfone still won't reregister after a soft reboot via the web interface, a hard reboot is still required.)

That being said, I have a brand new Asus AC68U in front of me so I shall be switching routers tomorrow. Never know that may solve the Voipfone registration issue but I really don't think it's a local issue.

Earlier I connected the OBiBT accessory and my iPhone 5C paired with it without issue, I love this feature although it is not new to me... I have several Cisco SPA525G2's here and they have Bluetooth as standard. If your still unsure what the Bluetooth can do:
The Obihai OBiBT Bluetooth Wireless Adapter allows a USB equipped OBi device like the OBi202 to pair with a mobile phone so you can place calls and answer calls using your standard home cordless and corded phones connected to the OBi. The OBiBT works with most mobile phones using Bluetooth wireless technology. After the initial pairing between the mobile phone and the OBiBT has been set-up, when your mobile phone is in 'Bluetooth range" of the OBiBT, it will connect to your mobile phone automatically.
Again this feature just works!

I keep saying it works because it err just works lol :mrgreen:

Not had any lock ups, no freezing and nothing has blown up! :clap:

Tomorrow I'm going to test the Voipfone reboot registration issue against the new router, then I'm going to connect the OBiLine accessory although going by past experiences I don't think there will be any issues! I'm actually going to to put this in a live environment over the next few days and I intend on concentrating on configurations and feature improvements.
By bathdoger
I noticed your post over on the voipfone forum and I'm interested in this adaptor, well not the 202 the 200. I see it has wifi via a USB dongle which is fine but what if you want to make use of the wifi and the PTSN line adaptor like I do?

I can only see 1 USB port on these adaptors?

I think this is a big let down, wifi should of been built in as standard or at least offer 2 USB ports.

If I could of of made use of the wifi ability as well as the FXO I would of purchased one of these for sure.
By WelshPaul
Hello and welcome to the forums. At a guess I would say the reason for not including WiFi as standard is to keep the cost of the device down. After all most VoIP service providers recommend hard wired connections as wireless can be problematic, this is not the case in my experience. I have had a Cisco SPA525G2 running over Wifi for the best part of a year without a single issue.

I must say though I agree about the 1x USB restrictions you mention, I wonder if you can plug in any old v2.0 USB hub and use that to connect multiple USB accessories? I'm not sure if I have one laying around! Will see what I can find out.
By WelshPaul
WelshPaul wrote:Tomorrow I'm going to test the Voipfone reboot registration issue against the new router
Same result, requires a hard reboot by pulling the mains plug.

moving on...

Below you will find the correct regional configuration settings for use in the UK, You may need to be logged in with administrator privileges to view and change these settings.

Router Configuration ---> WAN Settings
Code: Select all
System Management:
LocalTimeZone: GMT+00:00(London,Lisbon)
DaylightSavingTimeStart: 3/-1/7/2:0:0
DaylightSavingTimeEnd: 10/-1/7/2:0:0
DaylightSavingTimeDiff: 1:0:0
Physical Interfaces ---> PHONE1+2 Port
Ringer:
RingFrequency: 25

Port Settings:
OnHookTipRingVoltage: 50
OffHookCurrentMax: 25
Impedance: 370+(620||310 nF)
CallerIDMethod: FSK(V.23)

Timers:
HookFlashTimeMax: 200
HookFlashTimeMin: 60
CPCDelayTime: 10000
CPCDuration: 1000
DigitMapLongTimer: 6 <--- Optional, this is more of a personal choice of mine. Leave at default value if you wish!
Physical Interfaces ---> LINE Port
Line Port:
RingDelay: 400

PSTN Disconnect Detection:
DetectCPC: Yes
CPCTimeThreshold: 90
DetectPolarityReversal: No
DetectFarEndLongSilence: Yes
SilenceDetectSensitivity: High
SilenceTimeThreshold: 30
DetectDisconnectTone: Yes
DisconnectTonePattern: 400-30;20

Port Settings:
ACImpedance: 370+620||310nF
OnHookSpeed: 3ms (ETSI)
CurrentLimitingEnable: Yes
CallerIDDetectMethod: ETSI FSK With PR(UK)

Ring Detection:	
RingFrequencyMin: 10
RingFrequencyMax: 100
RingThreshold: 13.50-16.50
RingValidationTime: 256
RingIndicationDelayTime: 0
RingTimeout: 128
RingerImpedance: High
Tone Settings ---> Tone Profile A+B
Dial Tone:
ToneName: Dial Tone
TonePattern: 350-19,440-22;10

Ringback Tone:
ToneName: Ringback Tone	
TonePattern: 400-20,450-20;-1;(.4+.2,.4+2)

Busy Tone:
ToneName: Busy Tone
TonePattern: 400-20;10;(.375+.375)

Reorder Tone:
ToneName: Reorder or Fastbusy Tone
TonePattern: 400-20;10

Holding Tone:
ToneName: Holding Tone
TonePattern: 600-20;-1;(.1+.1,.1+.1,.1+2.2)

Second Dial Tone:
ToneName: Second Dial Tone
TonePattern: 420-19,520-22;10

Stutter Tone:
ToneName: Stutter Tone
TonePattern: 350-19,440-22;10;(.75+.75)

Howling Tone:
ToneName: Howling Tone
TonePattern: 480+3,620+3;300;(1/.2+0,2/.2+0)

Prompt Tone:
ToneName: Prompt Tone
TonePattern: 520-19,620-22;10

Call Forwarded Dial Tone:
ToneName: Call Forwarded Dial Tone	

DND Dial Tone:
ToneName: DND Dial Tone

Conference Tone:
ToneName: Conference Tone
TonePattern: 350-22;10;(.1+.1,.1+9.7)

SIT Tone 1:
ToneName: SIT Tone 1
TonePattern: 950-16,1400-16,1800-16;20;(1/.330+0,2/.330+0,4/.330+0,0/0+4)

Outside Dial Tone:
ToneName: Outside Dial Tone
TonePattern: 420-22;10
Ring Settings ---> Ring Profiles A+B
Call Waiting Tone 1:
ToneName: UK-1
TonePattern:30;(.1+2)

Call Waiting Tone 2:
ToneName: UK-2
TonePattern: 30;(.25+.25,.25+.25,.25+5)

Ring Pattern 1:
RingName: UK-1
RingPattern: 60;(.4+.2,.4+2)

Ring Pattern 2:
RingName: UK-2
RingPattern: 60;(1+2)

Ring Pattern 3:
RingName: UK-3
RingPattern: 60;(.25+.25,.25+.25,.25+1.75)

Ring Pattern 4:
RingName: UK-4
RingPattern: 60;(.4+.8)

Ring Pattern 5:
RingName: UK-5
RingPattern: 60;(2+4)
DigitMap/Dialplan for use with Voipfone as shown here.
(1[0-6][0-6]S3|195|[2-8]xxS3|999|116xxx|118xxx|1[4-5]7[1-9]|0[15]xxxxxxxxx?|0[27]x xxxx xxxx|0800xxx xxxx?|08001111|08[47]x xxx xxxx|0845464x|00xxx.|14100xxx.|147000xxx.|0[1-9]xxxxxxxxx|1410[1-9]xxxxxxxxx|14700[1-9]xxxxxxxxx|<01792>[2-8]xxxxxS3|[1-8]xx*xxx|3xxxxxxxS3|3xxxxxxx*xxx|xx.|+xx.|**[2-8]xx|**1571xxx|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.)
I am working on more detailed dialplans as is OBihai. :thumbsup:
By WelshPaul
bathdoger wrote:I noticed your post over on the voipfone forum and I'm interested in this adaptor, well not the 202 the 200. I see it has wifi via a USB dongle which is fine but what if you want to make use of the wifi and the PTSN line adaptor like I do?

I can only see 1 USB port on these adaptors?

I think this is a big let down, wifi should of been built in as standard or at least offer 2 USB ports.

If I could of of made use of the wifi ability as well as the FXO I would of purchased one of these for sure.
Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you, I can now confirm that you can in fact plug a USB hub into the OBihai adapter and use it to connect multiple OBihai accessories.
By WelshPaul
bathdoger wrote:Thanks for coming back to me. It's good that you can do it that way but I still think they should of added 2 USB ports.

Maybe on the next model?
I hope they consider it.

OK thanks, what VPN are you using ??

A good write up on SIP ALG: https://www.voicehost…

Thanks very much. Really appreciate it! :-D

Attached below is my latest OBIHAI UK configuratio…