If it's about VoIP, SIP or Internet Telephony but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, post it here.
By nazgull
Hi all,

I am new to VOIP so just after some advice if possible. I plan to use VOIP in a small business environment, with one ‘geographical’ line with 5x extensions. To achieve this, this is how I plan to wire this all up.

Current broadband into the current ADSL router (Netgear DG834 router) with 4 ports. In one of the ports I plan to plug in a Netgear FS608 8 port router, and then the 5x IP phones (non POE) into the FS608 to the phones via Ethernet. Does anyone see any problems with this network? And work laptops to connect wirelessly as normal.

I understand that the Netgear does not have QOS, but I plan to ‘play this by ear’, and if necessary upgrade the router to have QOS to prioritise traffic, or invest in another BT line with broadband for the VOICE, whilst all data goes over the other old broadband.

Would the FS608 be fine for connecting the 5x IP phones? Are there any other things I need to be aware of?

All advice appreciated.
By marmalade
How good is your ADSL line?

What is the current usage of the ADSL line like?

How many laptops are in the office at any given time?

Do you expect all five phones to be in use at the same time?

I have a member of staff who works from home on a low speed ADSL line. When speaking to him on his VOIP telephone, I can always tell when he does a send and receive of emails since the voice call breaks up.
By nazgull
Hi marmalade - thanks very much for responding. In anser to your questions:

What is the current usage of the ADSL line like? Line being installed tomorrow, but expected 19Mbs download and 2Mbs upload.

How many laptops are in the office at any given time? 5 but probably only 3/4 people working at the same time.

Do you expect all five phones to be in use at the same time? No I would expect only approx 3 on the phone at the same time.

So first question - is that Netgear switch I suggested OK - I presume it is.

Secondaly, think we will have to see how it is when a few people on the phone and using their laptops.

Thirdly - thinking about a QOS router that can prioritise upload priority. The TP-Link TD-W8960N gets good reviews. Is it possible with this router to prioritise 'voice' over 'data' uploads without a static IP (with our adsl we do not have a static IP). I am just wondering how the router can identify voice vs data. (If I go with my network below all voice will be through the one netgear switch into one port onto the router, and data will all be wireless.

Again - all responses appreciated. Regards.

OK thanks, what VPN are you using ??

A good write up on SIP ALG: https://www.voicehost…

Thanks very much. Really appreciate it! :-D

Attached below is my latest OBIHAI UK configuratio…