If it's about VoIP, SIP or Internet Telephony but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, post it here.
By phoneuser
#395
I am new to VOIP and need some help! Have purchased a geographic number and also have an extenstion (not sure what this is used for but was told I needed one!) What I want to do is receive calls on the geo number (currently pointed at my BT landline) and to be able to transfer the caller to an external number. I understand that I need a VOIP handset to do this. Current set up is BT home hub in hallway connects to wireless desktop in office (through another room). I am presuming that the VOIP handset has to have wired connection to the router (is this my home hub?) which is located in the hallway, not in the office, causing me issues with how do I answer the calls when in the office? Additionally, the softphone software that I downloaded at the start of the whole process does not work - I am not able to uninstall it (error message says that the software is running and cannot complete uninstallation) and Voipfone have not been very helpful, telling me that I probably just need to reboot my PC (been there, done that!) and providing a link to the softphone set up process. If anyone can help with any of above, thanks in advance.
User avatar
By WelshPaul
#396
You surprise me, Voipfone offer the best support of all the companies I have done business with.

That said do you mean that you want your new VoIP number to divert all calls that come in to it directly to another landline or mobile? If so you don't need any equipment at all. See: http://www.voipfone.co.uk/Call_Forwardi ... Divert.php

Or do you mean that you want to answer the calls on a VoIP telephone then send them to another ordinary phone if necessary. In this case you use the call transfer method used by your telephone - often a transfer button.

Your VoIP telephone will normally be plugged into your router (BT Home Hub in your case), You'll need to run a cable from it or alternatively, use an adapter (ATA) and then plug a DECT telephone into the (ATA).

As for your softphone, it sounds like you need to end any processes that are running using your task manager then uninstall the programme.

Try giving Voipfone a call on - 020 7043 5555
By phoneuser
#397
Hi thanks for the reply.

Firstly, I have managed to uninstall the software - I disabled Zoiper on the taskbar then uninstalled the software.

Secondly, what I want to do is answer the call so that I can talk to the caller and then transfer the call, if I need to, to an external number (landline or mobile). If possible, I would like to be able to do this using my current cordless telephone (BT Synergy 3505 DECT) in my office, which is some distance from the router (so connecting a VOIP phone to the router would be an issue).

Are you saying that I would just need an adapter to enable me to transfer calls and use all the other functions available (voicemail email alerts, call divert, business hours etc)?
User avatar
By WelshPaul
#398
phoneuser wrote:Secondly, what I want to do is answer the call so that I can talk to the caller and then transfer the call, if I need to, to an external number (landline or mobile). If possible, I would like to be able to do this using my current cordless telephone (BT Synergy 3505 DECT) in my office, which is some distance from the router (so connecting a VOIP phone to the router would be an issue).
Not a problem, this is extremely easy to do regardless of what VoIP hardware you decide to go with. I would decide on what hardware to go with first before reading up on how to transfer a call because the process varies a little depending on what hardware your using.
phoneuser wrote:Are you saying that I would just need an adapter to enable me to transfer calls and use all the other functions available (voicemail email alerts, call divert, business hours etc)?
You can either use a dedicated VoIP phone such as a Snom 300, it sounds to me that an analogue telephone adaptor (ATA) would be the best choice for your needs. This is a small box that plugs into the mains for power and connects to your internet via your router usually by Ethernet cable and has 1 or 2 sockets that allow you to connect a standard BT corded or DECT telephone. Placing a call on hold would be done by pressing the recall button "R" located on your telephones keypad and should you want to take the caller off hold just press that recall button again. Transferring the call simple requires that enter the telephone number or extension number after pressing the recall button "R".

You say running a cable to your router is no easy task, almost all ATA's I have come across are hard wired. OBihai though offer a small USB WiFi dongle that plugs into a USB port on the back of their OBi200 / OBi202 ATA's. This is ideal where running cables is no no!

You can purchase an OBi202 for £49.99 with free deliver over at Amazon by clicking here.

And...

You can purchase the WiFi adaptor for £15.00 over at Amazon by clicking here.

To read up on the OBihai range of products check out this link: http://www.obihai.com/product-primer
By phoneuser
#399
Thanks! That would be ideal for me. If I got it right I just plug the (ATA) box into the mains then plug in the wifi dongle into the USB port on the back of the (ATA) box and pair it to my wifi then I can plug any normal telephone into the box so that the box acts like a BT phone point except it connects to the wifi and needs to be plugged in to the mains? No running cables along my hallway to my BT home hub?

If I receive a call on the phone connected to the (ATA) box and I want to transfer it I simply press the R button (puts caller on hold) and enter the number I want to transfer the call to?
User avatar
By WelshPaul
#400
phoneuser wrote:I just plug the (ATA) box into the mains then plug in the wifi dongle into the USB port on the back of the (ATA) box and pair it to my wifi then I can plug any normal telephone into the box so that the box acts like a BT phone point except it connects to the wifi and needs to be plugged in to the mains?
Spot on!
phoneuser wrote:No running cables along my hallway to my BT home hub?
No cables running along your hallway. :)
phoneuser wrote:If I receive a call on the phone connected to the (ATA) box and I want to transfer it I simply press the R button (puts caller on hold) and enter the number I want to transfer the call to?
You got it. :thumbup:
Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests

Supported Products: OBi504vs OBi508vs Firm…

Supported Products: OBi200 OBi202 OBi300 OB…

Enter your email address here: https://haveibeenpw…

Well, with VoiceHost you can! I needed to report …