If it's about VoIP, SIP or Internet Telephony but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, post it here.
By WelshPaul
So does anyone know of any VoIP providers who offer video calling? VoIP has been around for sometime, yet video calling over VoIP seems to be non existent?

If you find or know of any let me know. :thumbup:
By SteveAtVoIP2Go
Good question, and I have to admit I am one of the many that has overlooked this subject. I wonder if it's because Skype and others do it so well? You also have to consider how many people have video enabled phones.

I have a SIP enabled Grandstream Cube IP Camera that I did some testing with a couple of years back but I can't remember how far I got. I'm not sure if there is anything special that a VoIP Provider has to do in order to support video, but then again, I'm probably wrong.

Let me know if you need someone to do some testing with. I have softphones that support video and I could also dig out the IP Camera if necessary. You've sparked my curiosity.
By WelshPaul
Hi Steve,

It appears nobody really offers this as standard... But why? :thumbsdown:

I remember when three mobile first launched, you were given two mobile phone numbers; one for voice and the other one for video. :? What a pain in the rear that was! One number for both voice/video calls sure did simplify things. Why not the same for VoIP?... Be nice to have one local geographical phone number to make and receive voice/video calls. OK so video calling on the three network (or any other) never took off but I'm pretty darn sure that's down to their expensive per minute charge. With third party apps such as Skype on your mobile and a data allowance i doubt mobile video calling will ever take off now.

Think about it for a moment... If VoIP suppliers offered video calling it would introduce people to the world of VoIP who would only otherwise continue to use apps such as Skype to call home. I know two people myself who Skype with their parents weekly due to living far apart yet they have never heard of VoIP and don't know what it can really do or offer them. :?

VoIP has been around for years now, it amazes me that only recently have they managed to reliably send data such as FAX over VoIP. I guess we will have to wait another 10 years or so for video. :(

I shall do a bit more reading on the subject in the meantime and I will check out the link above.