If it's about VoIP, SIP or Internet Telephony but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, post it here.
By WelshPaul
Guess what I received in the mail this morning? Yes, that's right - A brand new shiny OBi1032 and here are the pictures of me unboxing it...
obi1032_unboxing.JPG
OBi1032 Unboxing
obi1032_unboxing.JPG (273.23 KiB) Viewed 3617 times
Take out the IP Phone from the box and it's protective wrapping and this is what you will see:
obi1032_ip_phone_front.JPG
OBi1032 IP Phone Front
obi1032_ip_phone_front.JPG (255.55 KiB) Viewed 3617 times
Let's turn it over:
obi1032_ip_phone_rear.JPG
OBi1032 IP Phone Rear View
obi1032_ip_phone_rear.JPG (282.19 KiB) Viewed 3617 times
Note: I have omitted some of the OBi No, MAC and Serial numbers in the above image for security reasons.
Anyway, lets move on... On the bottom of the IP phone there is a small hole, I'm guessing the phones built in microphone for use with hands free:
obi1032_ip_phone_bottom.JPG
OBi1032 IP Phone Bottom View
obi1032_ip_phone_bottom.JPG (230.9 KiB) Viewed 3617 times
On the right hand side you have what looks like a headset/handsfree 3.5mm jack:
obi1032_ip_phone_side.JPG
OBi1032 IP Phone Side View
obi1032_ip_phone_side.JPG (272.93 KiB) Viewed 3617 times
And that's pretty much the OBi1032 IP phone, feels solid and well built. Go back to the box, with the phone removed you will see this:
obi1032_unboxing_1a.JPG
OBi1032 Box
obi1032_unboxing_1a.JPG (283.79 KiB) Viewed 3616 times
But wait; ther is more... Take out the inner cardboard packaging and you will see the OBIHAI accessories that came with your IP phone:
obi1032_accessories.JPG
OBi1032 Accessories
obi1032_accessories.JPG (294.14 KiB) Viewed 3616 times
As you see them above is how they were packed for me, all I did was lift out the inner cardboard that held the IP phone in place. I got a handset/receiver, clip/slide on stand, handset/receiver cord and Ethernet cable. There was no mains adaptor supplied with my unit so I'm unsure if the retail unit's are shipped with compatible power supplies or not. (I have loads so not really an issue for me)

Moving on lets take a look at the OBi1032 stand:
obi1032_stand.JPG
OBi1032 Stand
obi1032_stand.JPG (308.07 KiB) Viewed 3616 times
What can I say? it's a stand! has two rubber feet on the bottom and four clips on the top which slide and lock into place on the rear of the phone. Attach the stand to the phone and this is what it looks like:
obi1032_rear_stand.JPG
OBi1032 Rear with Stand
obi1032_rear_stand.JPG (208.9 KiB) Viewed 3616 times
Looks good yea? let's sit the phone down and peel off it's protective screen cover:
obi1032_ip_phone.JPG
OBi1032 IP Phone
obi1032_ip_phone.JPG (124.81 KiB) Viewed 3615 times
Let's unpack the receiver:
obi1032_receiver.JPG
OBi1032 Receiver
obi1032_receiver.JPG (309.32 KiB) Viewed 3616 times
Pop the receiver on the base and this is how it looks:
obi1032_ip_phone_and_receiver.JPG
OBi1032 Ip Phone with Receiver
obi1032_ip_phone_and_receiver.JPG (217.8 KiB) Viewed 3616 times
Finally (Ignoring the Ethernet cable, seen one you seen them all!) we have the handset/receiver cord that plugs into the rear of the IP phone and the bottom of the receiver:
obi1032_receiver_cord.JPG
OBi1032 Receiver Cord
obi1032_receiver_cord.JPG (287.35 KiB) Viewed 3616 times
The final picture of the OBi1032 with receiver cord attached:
obi1032_ip_phone_complete.JPG
OBi1032 IP Phone Complete
obi1032_ip_phone_complete.JPG (203.23 KiB) Viewed 3616 times
And that's it! :thumbsup:
By WelshPaul
Oh don't you worry about that my fellow VoIP user... I have already put it to good use. :D

I decided to do things a little different with this phone. I wanted to unbox it, plug it in and get it up and running making calls without doing my homework by reading any of the available user or admin guides. After all so many home and small business's are likely to do just this! - Who likes reading pages and pages and pages of manuals when all the average user here in the UK just wants to plug it in and make a call right?

Even if something has 500 awesome features, if you only want or need to use just 3 why bother reading up on the remaining 497. Ok a geek like me would, most users here in the UK wouldn't.

Found a few issues already, OBihai are quick to release software updates though and so far all very minor. The audio is simply fantastic on this phone! :clap: My snom 870 has nothing on the OBi1032 when it comes to audio and if I'm honest I did not expect that! :shock:

I will be posting my own review of this phone soon, along with some tips, guides and recommendations. So watch this space! ;)
By SteveAtVoIP2Go
WelshPaul wrote:After all so many home and small business's are likely to do just this! - Who likes reading pages and pages and pages of manuals when all the average user here in the UK just wants to plug it in and make a call right?
My thoughts exactly and that's why I am working with Mark from Obihai so that my Customers can click a couple of buttons on the OBiTALK portal and hand over management of the device to me.
WelshPaul wrote:The audio is simply fantastic on this phone! :clap: My snom 870 has nothing on the OBi1032 when it comes to audio and if I'm honest I did not expect that! :shock:
Great to hear that the audio is good. Are you using G711u or one of the HD codecs?
By WelshPaul
I have had to setup several VoIP accounts on the device as most VoIP providers I use only support a limited amount of codecs usually 2 or 3. Takes a bit of searching to find out what ones too! I have also setup a voip2go account last night - had my email this morning with all the details!

From this page http://www.voip2go.net/g722-codec-provider.html I see you support the G722 HD Codec, what other do you fully support? Is it just G711, G729 & GSM?

I am primarily using Voipfone & Voicehost with my OBi1032 and both favour/default to the G.711A codec.

Voipfone support the following codecs:
1. G.711(A) (High Quality)
This is a high quality codec providing CD quality (64kb) if used end to end. It uses a nominal 87.2 kbs of bandwidth (64kbs plus overhead) but requires at least 128kbs in both directions making it a relatively high bandwidth user.

2. PCMA (High Quality)
Also a high quality codec providing CD quality (64kb) if used end to end. It uses a nominal 87.2 kbs of bandwidth (64kbs plus overhead) but requires at least 128kbs in both directions making it a relatively high bandwidth user.

3. G.726-32 (Low Bandwidth)
In theory this is a good, relatively low bandwidth codec but in real life use it often produces low quality sound. Try it and see if it works for you.

4. GSM (Low Bandwidth)
Same encoding as used in GSM mobile phones (though improved versions are often used nowadays). So expect the same sort of voice quality. Very low bandwidth use 13kbs (plus overhead)
Voicehost support the following codecs:
1. G.711(A) (High Quality)

2. G.711(U) (High Quality)

3. GSM (Low Bandwidth)
I also have a Voiptalk, Soho66 and Sipgate account.

I can't even find a list of what codecs Voiptalk or Soho66 actually support, either it's well hidden or they don't publicly advertise them. :thumbsdown:

Sipgate support the following codecs:
1. G711
2. G.726-32
3. G.729
4. GSM
Now it may be a placebo effect, but the audio does sound better on the Obi using G.711(A) compared to my Snom 870. Maybe the OBi is better at cancelling out background noise?
By GoofyCyborg
Hey Guys,

That looks nice! I setup that OBi202 you sent me with OBiPLUS. Currently have a Cisco SPA504 registered against it but eventually I will get 2x OBi1062's. I looked into getting one sent over from amazon.com (OBi1032), sent them an email and they confirmed what you stated in a previous topic so I will wait for their release in the UK.

On the topic of Codecs - I'm not aware of any UK voip providers that use HD codecs. Have you found one?
By SteveAtVoIP2Go
WelshPaul wrote:what other do you fully support? Is it just G711, G729 & GSM?
That's all at the moment, however, I'm currently integrating other carriers that support more codecs.

I should be able to let you start testing HD calls over the next few weeks if all goes well. I'll drop you an email when I'm ready.
By WelshPaul
SteveAtVoIP2Go wrote:That's all at the moment, however, I'm currently integrating other carriers that support more codecs.

I should be able to let you start testing HD calls over the next few weeks if all goes well. I'll drop you an email when I'm ready.
To be fair Steve that's the majority of codecs used by ITSP's here in the UK also. Not much need for any more it seems.

We need UK ITSP's to add the G.722 codec, I'm wondering though if there would be that big a need for it? So many users appear to use lower end codecs such as GSM so they can handle more calls over their limited broadband connection. Moving to HD would increase traffic reducing the amount of calls their able to make and receive.

I have not done a huge amount of homework on this, only recently read the user guide, i'm now on page 60 of the OBi100 draft admin guide with another 117 pages to go! :o
By SteveAtVoIP2Go
WelshPaul wrote:To be fair Steve that's the majority of codecs used by ITSP's here in the UK also. Not much need for any more it seems.
I think some people may benefit from using iLBC when making calls from a SIP App on a mobile phone. I also see value in adding T38 for fax.
WelshPaul wrote:We need UK ITSP's to add the G.722 codec
From my initial research, I doubt very much that this will happen. I personally see it as an important niche, so I will be doing everything possible to support it. In fact, I'll drop you an email soon so that we can call each other through my platform using G722.

My Obi1032 arrived earlier this week and setup was a breeze. I've not opened the Obi1032 admin guide yet, so you have a head start on me :thumbsup:
By WelshPaul
SteveAtVoIP2Go wrote:I also see value in adding T38 for fax.
Trouble is most Brits seem to see the Fax as a thing of the 90's and as such most of the UK VoiP providers won't put any effort into supporting it. Well other than giving you the option to purchase a Fax number for a small monthly fee whereby you receive the Fax via email.

As I mentioned previously Video Over IP is also dismissed, nobody supports it and nobody wants to support it. Sadly it's the same when wanting to send Data Over IP - such as alarm dialers and digi boxes.

It can be done, UK VoIP providers seem content with just voice. It's a good thing to see manufacturers such as Cisco and OBIHAI developing hardware that makes this possible.
SteveAtVoIP2Go wrote:
WelshPaul wrote:We need UK ITSP's to add the G.722 codec
From my initial research, I doubt very much that this will happen. I personally see it as an important niche, so I will be doing everything possible to support it. In fact, I'll drop you an email soon so that we can call each other through my platform using G722.
Sadly I would have to agree with you. I look forward to testing out the OBi1032 using the G.722 codec, I was playing with FreePBX on my PI a couple of days ago and I noticed that it supports the G.722 codec! Sadly I can only test it on my local network and I don't have another phone that supports it. :(
SteveAtVoIP2Go wrote:My Obi1032 arrived earlier this week and setup was a breeze. I've not opened the Obi1032 admin guide yet, so you have a head start on me :thumbsup:
I have not been well the past couple of days so I'm still on page 60! You still got a chance to catch up. ;)
By VoipIT
Big Cisco fan myself! Do those line leds turn red if your voip service goes down like the Cisco phones?

I wonder why they only put three physical line buttons on the phone and not four? Looks like there is plenty of room for another. Just been browsing the Obihai store on amazon and i see the 202, 1032, 504 and 508 are not available in the UK? Well they don't have any listings/stock of those.
By WelshPaul
VoipIT wrote:Do those line leds turn red if your voip service goes down like the Cisco phones?
They most certainly do! :thumbsup:
VoipIT wrote:I wonder why they only put three physical line buttons on the phone and not four? Looks like there is plenty of room for another.
At a guess... To make the OBi1062 more appealing. :D
VoipIT wrote:Just been browsing the Obihai store on amazon and i see the 202, 1032, 504 and 508 are not available in the UK? Well they don't have any listings/stock of those.
A very good question! Sadly one I can't answer.
By WelshPaul
I can't believe it's been almost 19 months since I received my OBi1032! :-o

Sadly my OBi1032 has spent the best part of 9 months sitting on top of my wardrobe as a dust collector...
Optimized-IMG_2765.JPG
Optimized-IMG_2765.JPG (164.32 KiB) Viewed 2417 times
I actually do like the phone, however it has one major issue that still hasn't been fixed to date, and that's the OBi1032 doesn't match an inbound CLI to that saved against a contact in the phonebook. This is one of the most basic of functions of any telephone whether it be Mobile, DECT or a Corded telephone! :(

My OBi1032 phone currently runs on firmware revision 5.0.0 (Build: 3223.1311), not sure if that's the latest although ***6 informs me that it is. My OBi1032 Hardware Warranty and Premium Technical Support ended Sep 2015, Obihai do offer a Premium Technical Support service (For Out of Warranty Devices) at an annual price of $15.00. Not sure if us Brits can purchase it though? Not that I would want to. :P

On a more positive note, OBiLINE now works with this telephone apparently. I wonder if the same issues plague the OBiLINE when used with the OBi10xx series as reported when used with the OBi2xx series? I shall have to test this out! :)

You should be aware that the OBi1032 is no longer sold here in the UK, hasn't been listed on Amazon in almost a year. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00M ... tag=uvf-21

It's a real shame, you can do so much with these phones but the lack of CLI matching and general availability here in the UK means they're unlikely to ever take off.

Anyone else using one of these phones here in the UK?

Tried NordVPN then ExpressVPN last night but both …

A good write up on SIP ALG: https://www.voicehost…

Thanks very much. Really appreciate it! :-D

Attached below is my latest OBIHAI UK configuratio…