If it's about VoIP, SIP or Internet Telephony but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, post it here.
By Niall95g
Both Voipfone and Voicehost are registered ITSPA members, worth paying the £2 a month for the london number for the security and uptime alone! Remember though, Voipfone would work out at £2.40 per month for a london number because they add VAT on to their £2 monthly charge. Voicehost has VAT included in their prices.
Is this totally legitimate or are there any catches or hidden charges. £2/Month seems a very small price to have your own london number and the up-time guarantee?
By SteveAtVoIP2Go
CJT-80 wrote:I contacted VoIP 2 Go, Voice Host, VoIPFone and SIP Gate UK.

So far the best value was VoIPFone who come in at £2.40 per month per number inc VAT.

SIP Gate UK maybe worth looking at when their Basic account returns "next month", as that was what was in the e-mail reply. They provide an 020 Geo number which is what I am after.

I just now need to work out the best way to go about testing the Super Hub 2 with VoIP for not a great deal of cash.

:-)
I'd wait for Sipgate. I have a free personal number with them and it has been reliable for years. That said, for future reference, I dug a little deeper into phone number pricing and I've now found a way to get the cost down to just £2 per month (no vat) for my UK Customers (most of my Customers are in the US and Canada so this has not been my focus until just recently).

The phone numbers are not 'locked' to my VoIP2Go service. Incoming calls are forwarded to a SIP URI which means you could use them with any other VoIP service (which is the way it should be in my opinion). They support T.38 too - if faxing is your thing.
By CJT-80
SteveAtVoIP2Go wrote: I'd wait for Sipgate. I have a free personal number with them and it has been reliable for years. That said, for future reference, I dug a little deeper into phone number pricing and I've now found a way to get the cost down to just £2 per month (no vat) for my UK Customers (most of my Customers are in the US and Canada so this has not been my focus until just recently).

The phone numbers are not 'locked' to my VoIP2Go service. Incoming calls are forwarded to a SIP URI which means you could use them with any other VoIP service (which is the way it should be in my opinion). They support T.38 too - if faxing is your thing.
Thanks for letting me know Steve,

I have only just cancelled my VM landline yesterday, and that's 30 day's notice so that takes me to almost the end of March.

I would be interested to find out when you are able to drop the monthly price of the number.

I know a friend who uses Sipgate for his own personal number, I think he has 2 actually on 2 accounts and never has issues with them.

I am sure to save a lot of money overall regardless of which VoIP provider/s I choose as they will be cheaper per month than my VM line.

:thumbsup:
By SteveAtVoIP2Go
CJT-80 wrote: I would be interested to find out when you are able to drop the monthly price of the number.
Effective immediately. Let me know if it doesn't work out with Sipgate or the others and I'll help you get everything setup.
By WelshPaul
Niall95g wrote:
Both Voipfone and Voicehost are registered ITSPA members, worth paying the £2 a month for the london number for the security and uptime alone! Remember though, Voipfone would work out at £2.40 per month for a london number because they add VAT on to their £2 monthly charge. Voicehost has VAT included in their prices.
Is this totally legitimate or are there any catches or hidden charges. £2/Month seems a very small price to have your own london number and the up-time guarantee?
It is totally legitimate and as for any up-time guarantee well no there is no guarantee.

No provider’s service is 100% immune to downtime. There are just two many points of failure with VoIP but it's still pretty darn reliable, I use three VoIP providers myself and only one has had an outage in the past 12 months which lasted around an hour. This was due to a massive power failure in their data centre. :crazy:
By WelshPaul
SteveAtVoIP2Go wrote:
WelshPaul wrote: We did play about with CLI at the time but didn't get it just right.
Let me know when you have time and I can set you up in my new platform that uses different providers.
Cool, I will drop you an email the beginning of next week. :)
By CJT-80
c0d3r wrote:I'm pretty sure you still need to take out a phone line package with fibre to the home broadband. They won't sell you one without the other usually. :(

http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/guide ... phone-line
Maybe I needed to be a bit clearer, my fault..

FTTH - Fibre to the Home, is actually FTTP - Fibre to the Premises, as before exactly as it sounds. The "product" provided by Openreach (a "arms length" subsidiary of BT Group) is Fibre ONLY it does not have a voice product. This is because the Fibre is provided directly to the premises, and not via the copper cable that provides the existing phone line. An example of a new build set of Apartments in Greenwich SE London which have FTTP is here: http://www.newcapitalquay.com/ the Openreach info on what they provided is here: http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/pr ... _3_web.pdf

330 Mbps Download and 30 Mbps upload. Nice!

As part of FTTP there is one other product, which is REALLY quite complex and I understand expensive, and that's FTTPoD (FTTP on Demand) that's where you are able to have the service provided to your home, but you have to have it installed, and trunking has to be dug, to your front door, at YOUR own cost. Here is a Business based site with more info: http://www.gradwell.com/broadband/fttpod/ However I believe it "can" be available for residential use.

For me I am happy to stick with VM @ 50 Mbps and see what happens.
By Slinkywizard
I have to agree. Alternatives to VoIP in the UK are pretty limited as things stand. There are one or two alternatives not mentioned by the OP, though. Found a good guide on it here - talks about satellite, as well as some of the more recent independent networks springing up. https://www.cable.co.uk/guides/can-i-ge ... hone-line/
By WelshPaul
Slinkywizard wrote:I have to agree. Alternatives to VoIP in the UK are pretty limited as things stand. There are one or two alternatives not mentioned by the OP, though. Found a good guide on it here - talks about satellite, as well as some of the more recent independent networks springing up. https://www.cable.co.uk/guides/can-i-ge ... hone-line/
Trouble is mobile broadband and satellite broadband not only works out far more expensive in the long term but you're going to suffer from things like high pings, latency and remember it's nowhere near as reliable as fibre...

Virgin media's cable broadband is second to none, I have been with them on a BB only package for years. Thing is, while I do get better speeds than those compared to what BT can offer it costs me the best part of £35 a month!

No problem, happy to hear that everything has been…

Thanks very much. Really appreciate it! :-D

Attached below is my latest OBIHAI UK configuratio…

System advice?

As you wanted 9 for an outside line, pretty sure t…