If it's about VoIP, SIP or Internet Telephony but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, post it here.
By WelshPaul
On the 1st October this year Ofcom abolished local dialling in some areas here in the UK. I don’t think it was personal but it has turned out to be damned inconvenient. But what about the rest of the UK? Will local dialling soon be a thing of the past?

For the benefit of those that have no clue what local dialling is – that’ll be pretty much everyone – it’s being able to dial just the last 6 digits of the normal 11 digit telephone number if you live in the same area as the number you’re dialling. So in my case, if I wanted to dial my local pizza takeaway in Swansea – whose number is 01792 234567 – I could drop the Swansea area code, 01792, and just ring the last digits 234567. But, alas, for some no longer.

Which areas are affected?
  • Aberdeen (01224): Includes Aberdeen and the area to the west, including towns such as Westhill.
  • Bradford (01274): Includes Bradford and the surrounding areas such as Baildon, Bingley, Cleckheaton and Shipley.
  • Brighton (01273): Includes Brighton and Hove, as well as places such as Lewes, Newhaven, Peacehaven and Southwick.
  • Middlesbrough (01642): Includes Middlesbrough and surrounding places such as Stockton, Redcar, Stokesley and Yarm.
  • Milton Keynes (01908): Includes Milton Keynes, Bletchley, Newport Pagnell and an area to the north as far as Ravenstone.
The reason for this is that Aberdeen (01224), Bradford (01274), Brighton (01273), Middlesbrough (01642), Milton Keynes (01908) – have almost run out of numbers and removing the ability to dial without the area code creates almost 2 million more. This is because the numbers 0 and 1 can then be used in the local number i.e. 01273 023456. Before, if a zero was in the number and it was dialled without the full area code, the local exchange thought that a national call was about to be made and shuffled it’s electrons accordingly. If a 1 was dialled the exchange expected a call to a BT service like 100, 155 or a clever telephone service like 1471.

So now if you live in one of these areas and dial just a local number you will get an announcement asking you to politely hang up and dial the full number. This is nothing new of course, mobile users have had to dial the full number for all calls since their inception and it’s no great hardship as most of the numbers people dial are in their mobile’s address book, just a couple of clicks away.

Things are different with VoIP of course; because a VoIP telephone number can be attached to a telephone anywhere at all in the entire world, the concept of local numbering is now an anachronism.

Clever people though, can configure their telephone to insert their local code automatically if they like because VoIP phones are clever like that.

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/phone/num ... -the-code/
By SubZ87
WelshPaul wrote:The reason for this is that Aberdeen (01224), Bradford (01274), Brighton (01273), Middlesbrough (01642), Milton Keynes (01908) – have almost run out of numbers and removing the ability to dial without the area code creates almost 2 million more.
I wonder how long 2 million numbers will last?
Wouldn't it have been better to change the dialling format from 01aaa xxx xxx to 02a xxxx xxxx and then they'd gain an extra two digits capacity on the local dialling. They did it with London, Southampton & Portsmouth, Coventry, Northern Ireland, and Cardiff.
http://www.area-codes.org.uk/

I'm not that fussed about loosing local dialling as most of my dialling happens from short-cuts and presets.
By SteveAtVoIP2Go
WelshPaul wrote: Clever people though, can configure their telephone to insert their local code automatically if they like because VoIP phones are clever like that.
Do any of the VoIP providers you use offer a feature to do this within their platform, rather than on the IP phone/ATA?
By WelshPaul
SteveAtVoIP2Go wrote:
WelshPaul wrote: Clever people though, can configure their telephone to insert their local code automatically if they like because VoIP phones are clever like that.
Do any of the VoIP providers you use offer a feature to do this within their platform, rather than on the IP phone/ATA?
Not a single one that I have ever come across! :thumbsdown:

In fact almost all don't even offer a dialplan for use with their service at all, you are left sitting there waiting up to 10 seconds for the thing to start ringing unless you know a short cut such as pressing the '#' or 'tick' key etc.

OK thanks, what VPN are you using ??

A good write up on SIP ALG: https://www.voicehost…

Thanks very much. Really appreciate it! :-D

Attached below is my latest OBIHAI UK configuratio…