If it's about VoIP, SIP or Internet Telephony but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, post it here.
By WelshPaul
Looks like it's the end of the road for sipgate's basic residential service, no more free landline numbers. :cry:
sipgate.png
Was fun while it lasted! :thumbdown:

If you already have a sipgate basic residential account you can continue to log in and use it as normal - Well, for now at least.

EDIT: As sipgate.co.uk appear to no longer be ceasing their UK Residential Phone Service I have amended the thread *Bleep*.
Sponsored
By c0d3r
At this rate give it another couple of years and we won't have any residential VoIP providers other than Vonage.
I remembered voip.co.uk doing the same thing as Sipgate a few years ago and to date they still don't allow registrations. I have an old voip.co.uk which I can still log in and use but there is no support, cannot change my details and short of making and receiving a call that's all I can do! I'm sure they try to push existing customers away rather than just pull the plug on a service.

I can't see Sipgate team doing that well, price wise it's expensive compared to others on the market.
By GoofyCyborg
Fingers crossed they don't ruin the service or get rid of it completely as I use it for my home line.

Wonder why they have gone down the route of no longer accepting new residential accounts and not charging a monthly fee for a landline number if they can no longer afford to offer the service for free? They appear to be making changes so hopefully they will not get rid of the residential service completely - watch this space I say!

Oh and welcome to the forum aerostar. :thumbup:
By WelshPaul
Well it's official...
Your sipgate basic residential phone service will end on 31/12/2014

SIP-ID:
Hi...

As sipgate will be focussing on our sipgate team business service, our sipgate basic residential service will close on the 31st December 2014.

What happens now?

Until the 31st December 2014 you will be able to credit your account and use your sipgate basic account as usual.

What happens on and after the 31st December 2014?
After the 31st December 2014 your basic account will still work, but it will no longer be possible to credit your account balance.
On the 31st January 2015, all sipgate basic services will cease:
You will no longer be able to make or receive calls with your sipgate basic account;
It will not be possible to login to your basic account at http://www.sipgate.co.uk;
999 Emergency Services will no longer be available via your sipgate basic account;
Call records and billing history will no longer be available.

Can I port my sipgate basic phone number(s) to another service provider?
Yes! To keep using your sipgate basic number after the sipgate basic service closes, you will need to transfer your number(s) to another service. To port your number off your sipgate basic account please contact your new service provider. They will handle the number transfer on your behalf.
You also have the option of transferring your sipgate basic phone number to our business phone service "sipgate team".

Contacts & Billing records:
Please be sure to download and save all account billing and call records you wish to retain before the closure of the sipgate basic service on 31st January 2015. You can download your account’s Contacts from your basic account as a PDF file or exported to a CSV file.

What will happen to the remaining credit balance on my sipgate basic account?
The remaining credit balance will be refunded. To get a refund of your account’s credit balance please send your PayPal email address and your account’s 7 digit SIPID to:
support@support.sipgate.co.uk

We greatly appreciate your custom and wish to ensure the closure of the sipgate basic service causes the minimum disruption to you. For further information feel free to email our customer support or visit our Help-Centre.

Best regards,
Your sipgate team
By WelshPaul
Have sipgate had a change of heart? It appears they have updated their site and now allow new registrations again???

No word from them officially about what's going on, appears only some customers have received the email posted above. If you have a sipgate account keep an eye out! you don't risk losing your number. :shock:
By c0d3r
WelshPaul wrote:Have sipgate had a change of heart? It appears they have updated their site and now allow new registrations again???

No word from them officially about what's going on, appears only some customers have received the email posted above. If you have a sipgate account keep an eye out! you don't risk losing your number. :shock:
How very strange :shock:

I just also tried the following link https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/reg/uk/index.php and as WelshPaul posted above they do indeed now once again allow registrations.

This was the link that you were previously diverted to when attempting to register: https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/?notice=1

I myself have not received any emails from sipgate informing me that their residential service was or will be closing? I was going to port my number over to voipfone but for now will hold off and see what happens.
By blackpat
Is there any further word on this?
I can't find anything on their website or press releases about closing.

And if they do close then what is a good choice for a replacement UK number voip service that works well with obihai hardware?

I have the obi202 and it has been reliable. I can take it with me when travelling on business. sipgate for incoming calls on a UK number. callcentric for outgoing calls on a USA number have been trouble free (except some router issues).
By GoofyCyborg
Im not sure whats going on, sipgate have been very quiet on the issue. As posted above any restrictions put in place preventing new registrations were removed some time ago now and to date users can once again register for a sipgate residential account.

Trouble is how long for? Have sipgate reconsidered or just put off getting rid? Questions only sipgate.co.uk can answer and they are keeping quiet! Nobody else offeres a free UK geographical number in the UK, plenty of VoIP providers such as VoiceHost, VoipFone and Gradwell but they all charge a monthly fee.

If the worst happens you can port your sipgate number to one of those but it will cost you around £20 for the port and a further £2 a month for the number. I would just sit back and forget about it for now, fingers crossed sipgate residential will be around for some time to come. :)
By blackpat
I do hope sipgate UK continues.

Maybe if sipgate charged UK residential customers £1 a month for their incoming UK number that would be a compromise that would make everyone happy. I know I would be OK with that. And I do make some outgoing calls on sipgate, just not most of them.

PS, it might be good to change the thread title now it is no longer considered accurate.
By SteveAtVoIP2Go
GoofyCyborg wrote:If the worst happens you can port your sipgate number to one of those but it will cost you around £20
I'm working on offering free porting - just in case. If that's not possible, I'd almost certainly be able to offer porting at less than £20. I'll try and port a sipgate number and let you know how I go.
By WelshPaul
blackpat wrote:I do hope sipgate UK continues.
You and me both! :thumbup:
blackpat wrote:Maybe if sipgate charged UK residential customers £1 a month for their incoming UK number that would be a compromise that would make everyone happy. I know I would be OK with that. And I do make some outgoing calls on sipgate, just not most of them.
This is what I don't get? Why go down the "let's get rid of the residential service" attitude? OK a VoIP provider may make more money on business accounts but extra income is extra income right? Well unless the cost to provide that service costs more than the extra income it brings! Why not bring in a price increase first, if that fails well...
blackpat wrote:PS, it might be good to change the thread title now it is no longer considered accurate.
Yes, I agree so will get this changed now! :thumbup:
SteveAtVoIP2Go wrote:I'm working on offering free porting - just in case. If that's not possible, I'd almost certainly be able to offer porting at less than £20. I'll try and port a sipgate number and let you know how I go.
I have ported a number out to Voipfone previously, it also stated on the email porting would be allowed. Let us know how you get on steve as I myself have a sipgate UK number that would need porting if they decide to terminate the service again.
By WelshPaul
I just found this http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/voip/4 ... ost4377689 :)

However I never got any such email. Looks like sipgate residential is here to stay after all! :thumbup:
Sponsored