If it's about VoIP, SIP or Internet Telephony but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, post it here.
By WelshPaul
Hi,

One of the benefits to VoIP is that it can be used in so many different environments...

e.g. It can be used to provide a second phone line in a child's bedroom without the need to sign any new contracts, pass any additional credit checks, pay installation charges or any monthly line rental thereafter. Billing can be pay as you go or via monthly direct debit so you are always in control!

Or as you mention above it can be used to bring down your current call costs alongside your current PSTN line. All you is an analogue telephone adaptor and an account with one of the many internet phone service providers out there.

What is an analogue telephone adaptor? An analog telephone adapter (ATA) is a device for connecting traditional analog telephones, fax machines, and similar customer-premise devices to a digital telephone system or a voice over IP telephony network and cost around £30 - £60 although you can get a used one a lot cheaper on eBay.

What is a VoIP internet phone service provider? A voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) service provider offers VoIP Internet telephony solutions to residential and commercial customers. Also known as an Internet phone service provider, a VoIP service provider generally provides the VoIP hardware and services to subscribers at a monthly rate, although hosted VoIP services are also quite common. Sign up with a VoIP provider such as voipfone.co.uk or Voicehost.co.uk and choose a phone number of your choice, it can be a local area number or a freephone number, add some calling credit and your ready to start making and receiving calls.

Maybe you run a home office, small office, large office or call centre? No problem, VoIP can do all that and more but what works for one may not work for another. In this instance it's best to list your requirements and build a plan of action from there.

When I get some time later I will post a guide (with images) on setting up an Obi110 Analogue telephone adaptor using Voipfone as the Internet phone service provider along side your PSTN line and make it a sticky. :thumbup:

In the meantime this short video should help explain what VoIP is and some of it's benefits:

By chelsknits
I'm in the same boat as you! Personally, I was thinking of looking into Google. I believe it's called Google Voice or something like that, but I'm not even sure if they have it. I'm pretty sure that they even allow you to text from the number they give you through a page on your browser but I might be wrong about that. At the time I did use it, it was free but I didn't use it for long so I didn't fully figure it out.
By SteveAtVoIP2Go
I would start by downloading some free VoIP software either onto a computer or as an App onto a smartphone. Zoiper have lots of different versions and their web site is a good place to start.... http://www.zoiper.com/en/voip-softphone ... ad/zoiper3

You can always buy a VoIP adapter or IP phone later on. Next, you will want to start making some calls. There are plenty of PAYG VoIP providers around and you get started with a small credit via PayPal. You may even find some that let you try their service for free.

If you want a phone number so that people can call you, then you can either start with a new number or transfer an existing phone number that you own. Once everything is setup and working, you and your family will be able to both make and receive calls from a phone at home and your smart phones.
By chelsknits
SteveAtVoIP2Go wrote:I would start by downloading some free VoIP software either onto a computer or as an App onto a smartphone. Zoiper have lots of different versions and their web site is a good place to start.... http://www.zoiper.com/en/voip-softphone ... ad/zoiper3

You can always buy a VoIP adapter or IP phone later on. Next, you will want to start making some calls. There are plenty of PAYG VoIP providers around and you get started with a small credit via PayPal. You may even find some that let you try their service for free.

If you want a phone number so that people can call you, then you can either start with a new number or transfer an existing phone number that you own. Once everything is setup and working, you and your family will be able to both make and receive calls from a phone at home and your smart phones.
I'm still completely new to this so sorry for my newbie questions! I was wondering what kind of software is a necessity for VOIP, first all all. Secondly, I was wondering if you had to have a normal phone (like a house phone) or if it's common for people to use cell phones for this? Sorry, I'm still learning the ropes so I'm not quite sure how everything works yet.
By froggy666
Hi, I was wondering if programs such as Mummble, Teamspeak and Raidcall count as VoIP as they are still voice communication over internet. Or am I taking the meaning to literal. I do imagine that due to the fact these are more like Skype than Google voice they aren't technically VoIP.
By wahmed
froggy666 wrote:Hi, I was wondering if programs such as Mummble, Teamspeak and Raidcall count as VoIP as they are still voice communication over internet. Or am I taking the meaning to literal. I do imagine that due to the fact these are more like Skype than Google voice they aren't technically VoIP.
In my humble opinion they definitely count as a VoIP service. They use the same premise