If it's about VoIP, SIP or Internet Telephony but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, post it here.
By chelsknits
I haven't even heard anyone mention dial-up in so long! I figured it was basically obsolete at this point and that everyone had switched to wireless internet. I barely even heard about people using the cord for internet still, unless it's at a school or business where they still use desktops,
By WelshPaul
Now there's a blast from the past...

Believe it or not it's still available here in the UK: http://freeola.com/dial-up-internet/

I haven't used it in years and I don't know anyone who uses it either. It must be next to useless now because websites and web pages in general are bigger in size than they ever were. I bet it would take a while just to load the forum index page. :?
By KenBrace
chelsknits wrote:I haven't even heard anyone mention dial-up in so long! I figured it was basically obsolete at this point and that everyone had switched to wireless internet. I barely even heard about people using the cord for internet still, unless it's at a school or business where they still use desktops,
I have 6 computers at my house and two of them are connected via cable. The rest are using the wifi. Wireless is great but it still isn't as fast as a cable so it's best to connect this way when practical.
By KenBrace
CJT-80 wrote:Not sure how I would even cope with it these day's...
You couldn't really. Websites these days are designed for high speed internet. Trying to browse the web with dialup today would be like trying to drive on the interstate in a 1920s Ford. Not going to happen.
By KenBrace
JoshSmith100 wrote:I dont know anyone who still uses Dial Up, I think thats way in the past. I remember using it awhile ago and man I sure as *Bleep* wouldn't be online as much as I am nowadays.
High speed internet is one of the best things that every happened to the world. :P

Whenever I use the dialup connection at my grandparent's house it drives my absolute nuts!

It feels like you're stuck inside a sloth's body and you're trying to reach food because you're really hungry. It's torturous!
By jabay
When i first got onto internet in the late 90's dial up was the only way to go. It was considerably fast back then and for us it pretty much served us well and we were able to do all that was necessary. When broadband came up i completely forgot about dial up until i was in a place where the only option available was dial up. I had no choice but to plug in. It was a totally horrific experience. Trying to get the computer to work and load sites was a night mare. I eventually gave up in the process.
By KenBrace
jabay wrote:When i first got onto internet in the late 90's dial up was the only way to go. It was considerably fast back then and for us it pretty much served us well and we were able to do all that was necessary. When broadband came up i completely forgot about dial up until i was in a place where the only option available was dial up. I had no choice but to plug in. It was a totally horrific experience. Trying to get the computer to work and load sites was a night mare. I eventually gave up in the process.
Well if you really think about all that goes on behind each internet click we have no right to call it slow. Every time we click a packet is sent from our computer to your router out to another router to another router to another router until it finally reaches the other side of the country then it has to travel all the way back and display itself in your computer. That's a lot to do. We really take high speed internet for granted.
By KenBrace
Niall95g wrote:I thought Dial Up was around with the dinosaurs! The advancements with cable, wireless and fibre-optic broadband has left Dial-up in a cloud of dust! We was using it up until 2003.
The only people that really use it anymore are old folks that don't really use the internet for anything more than doing a little banking two or three times a month.

That's about how often my grandparents use it. They could get high speed internet if they wanted but it would really just be a waste of money for them.
By ABC123
Dial-up! Oh My! When I read the topic, I was thrown in reverse. It made me think of ten plus years ago, when I first had the internet in my home. The sound of dial-up came back to my ears. At first I thought wow how yucky the sound was, but then I thought of it like an old friend that I have missed. But soon after that thought I remembered using my old laptop and how long it took for a site to down load. I definitely do not miss the waiting. If I had to go back to that I do not know how I would cope with all the fast paced demands on my time now. However, the schools in my area had just switched to wireless last year. I use to have to plug my laptop in if I were in a school building, but now I can go anywhere and look stuff up. Amazing how the world changes.

Tried NordVPN then ExpressVPN last night but both …

A good write up on SIP ALG: https://www.voicehost…

Thanks very much. Really appreciate it! :-D

Attached below is my latest OBIHAI UK configuratio…