If it's about VoIP, SIP or Internet Telephony but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, post it here.
By imperivm1
My parents never made the leap from dial-up to a high speed connection. Then again, they only recently started showing some interest in this whole Internet "thing". I don't imagine they would ever need Internet connection for anything other than Facebook chatting and the occasional Skype call. Perhaps I should cut them some slack; it's not like the first thing on their mind after they wake up is "I should stop using dial-up today because I heard it was obsolete". However, I still find it quite disturbing, to say the least.
By pwarbi
I haven't heard the words dial up in years! Is there actually a provider that still offers this service, let alone anybody who would want to still use it?
We used dial up right at the start and we thought it was fantastic, at the time I suppose it was but looking back and comparing it to what we're using today its like a totally different world.
By worldmachine
Dial up is still used here in the UK in certain remote areas of the country where there is no broadband available. This lack of availability is due to low population density in these areas and high infrastructure cost, like everything else it all comes down to profit.

Long running internet provider AOL announced only a few months ago that 2.3 million American customers were still paying for it's dial up service.In some areas satellite broadband is the only alternative available and that can be unreliable, particularly if it rains or there is a storm but dial up can at least be relied upon to keep functioning.

Media streaming and gaming are impossible with dial up, so it has very limited value these days, the numbers still using it are surprising.
By pwarbi
I guess if people dont have the coverage then its the only alternative but what could a dial up service actually be used for these days? I'd imagine most websites wouldn't run properly, if at all so is it just a case of basic email and...well, just basic email?
This might sound a bit snobish but I think I'd probably rather just do without altogether... Or move!
By wahmed
pwarbi wrote:I haven't heard the words dial up in years! Is there actually a provider that still offers this service, let alone anybody who would want to still use it?
We used dial up right at the start and we thought it was fantastic, at the time I suppose it was but looking back and comparing it to what we're using today its like a totally different world.
I'd be surprised too. At the time dial up was a miracle. A way to use the internet, this mystical creature. Now dial up is a pain and I wouldn't want to hear its name.
By chelsknits
KenBrace wrote:I have 6 computers at my house and two of them are connected via cable. The rest are using the wifi. Wireless is great but it still isn't as fast as a cable so it's best to connect this way when practical.
It's honestly been so long since I've used a computer connected by a cable that I wasn't even aware that there was a difference speed-wise! Our router is actually in one of my family member's rooms though so even if I wanted to give it a try, it would not be an option for me in my current living situation. I wish I could try it though, since we've been having a lot of issues with our wifi lately. It'll randomly stop working and you have to restart the router in order to get it to work again. This can happen a few times a week and can be extremely frustrating but our service provider is never able to come up with a reason for it.

Tried NordVPN then ExpressVPN last night but both …

A good write up on SIP ALG: https://www.voicehost…

Thanks very much. Really appreciate it! :-D

Attached below is my latest OBIHAI UK configuratio…