If it's about VoIP, SIP or Internet Telephony but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, post it here.
By chelsknits
I was wondering if anyone knew if Google Voice was available in the UK and if so, how great of a service is it? I used it very briefly before but I'm in the US so I'm not sure if it would be available in the UK. I also never really used it for business purposes, which is what I would be interested in using it for now. I wanted to see if it was worth getting or if I need to look into another service.
By WelshPaul
Unfortunately Google Voice isn't available here in the UK although there are hoops you can jump through to get an account. For me though there is no point as I don't know anyone who uses it and I don't call abroad. (Usually)
By mbowman
I would guess that Google is planning to expand their VoIP services outside the States but are just testing the market at the moment. From what I've read though it seems very competitive in both price and service. I would love to try the service given Google's excellent track record though if I could.
By jabay
In the UK and the rest of the world I would recommend skype. It is probably the most common solution out there. I think that the world has barely caught onto Skype let alone Google voice. At the same time i am sure that all your contacts should have Skype regardless. It is one of those things you have just in case you ever need it.
By chelsknits
CJT-80 wrote:I am surprised Google haven't released this over here yet.... perhaps it's down to the market or the availability of numbers to use?

Seems an interesting service though
I find that pretty interesting too. I would have thought that with Google being such a huge company, they would have released it in the UK by now. Usually things seem to always be released in the US, Canada, and the UK. It's when you get into other countries that things start to become unavailable - or at least that was the impression I always had.
By chelsknits
debbie24 wrote:A Google Voice number or Google Voice Lite is only supported in the United States and a phone with a US number is required in order to use it.
Users outside of the US can use Call Phone in Gmail to make international calls at affordable rates.
I actually didn't know about there even being a Google Voice and Google Voice Lite. Do you know what the differences between the two are? I'm assuming the Lite is free, but what features are you missing out on if you go with the free version?

I had no idea you could make calls with Gmail though, that's very good to know.
By chelsknits
jabay wrote:In the UK and the rest of the world I would recommend skype. It is probably the most common solution out there. I think that the world has barely caught onto Skype let alone Google voice. At the same time i am sure that all your contacts should have Skype regardless. It is one of those things you have just in case you ever need it.
I'm aware of the capability to use Skype in that way but I've never actually done it. Can you explain more of how it works? I remember reading somewhere that they give you something free (I can't remember if it was credits for the calls or actual minutes) the first time you use it but I'm not sure if they're still doing that. Also, how do you go about setting something like that up? And as for business related things - such as if you were working for a company as a customer service rep or something like that - would that be a suitable option or no?
By pwarbi
I'm a new member to this site and one of my first posts was going to be about google voice. I have friend over in the USA who say it really is brilliant and I was wondering if google even have any plans to introduce it over here in the UK?
Up to now, I haven't even heard any talk about it being available so I'm guessing its going to be a long way off yet if we ever do get it.
By wahmed
pwarbi wrote:I'm a new member to this site and one of my first posts was going to be about google voice. I have friend over in the USA who say it really is brilliant and I was wondering if google even have any plans to introduce it over here in the UK?
Up to now, I haven't even heard any talk about it being available so I'm guessing its going to be a long way off yet if we ever do get it.
I hate it when this happens. They launch good stuff in the USA and us Brits never get to see it.

No problem, happy to hear that everything has been…

Thanks very much. Really appreciate it! :-D

Attached below is my latest OBIHAI UK configuratio…

System advice?

As you wanted 9 for an outside line, pretty sure t…