If it's about VoIP, SIP or Internet Telephony but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, post it here.
By KenBrace
How fast would internet speed have to be before it was no longer useful to have anything faster?

Eventually you reach a point where it's so fast that every click is automatic and you are able to download things faster than it is being sent to you.

Once your internet is fast enough it would begin to be your PC that slows things down.

How fast is too fast?
By CJT-80
KenBrace wrote:How fast would internet speed have to be before it was no longer useful to have anything faster?

Eventually you reach a point where it's so fast that every click is automatic and you are able to download things faster than it is being sent to you.

Once your internet is fast enough it would begin to be your PC that slows things down.

How fast is too fast?
Interesting question.

I have only presently used up to 50 Mbps, but I know Openreach provide a 330 Mbps service and Hyperoptic can provide up to 1Gbps.. Never used either but would love to try!

:-)
By mbowman
I would say at current usage in my situation probably around 100 Mbps but as technology increases and the media we download becomes more complex we will see file sizes increase with gains in internet speed. Also really depends on what length of time your satisfied with for large downloads. What might seem reasonable to some might be unbearable to others.
By KenBrace
mbowman wrote:I would say at current usage in my situation probably around 100 Mbps but as technology increases and the media we download becomes more complex we will see file sizes increase with gains in internet speed. Also really depends on what length of time your satisfied with for large downloads. What might seem reasonable to some might be unbearable to others.
Quite right. I remember around the year 2003 or so my grandfather bought a computer with 5GB of storage space. My grandfather asked the tech who installed it if that would be enough and he was told that 5GB is all he would ever need. Now days most people have more than that in RAM. A 500GB hard drive is pretty much the minimum that most people want as far as storage goes.
By pwarbi
A lot will also have to do with what your using it for and how much you'd be willing to pay.
There wouldn't be much point in a 1G internet connection if all your doing is typing a couple of emails.
At the moment mines running at about 60 and although its not the fastest by any means its more than fast enough for our household.
By wahmed
KenBrace wrote:How fast would internet speed have to be before it was no longer useful to have anything faster?

How fast is too fast?

That's a good question. I think when you have one device in the house speed isn't an issue. I think its an issue for multiple devices that's when you need fast internet
By May102014
We started with 30 Mbps, then 50 and now we currently have 100 Mbps. I am very satisfied with our current internet speed considering that we only use internet for surfing, and sometimes watching live streaming games especially European football and doing some of my online works.
By pwarbi
I think like most things, your internet will only be as strong as its weakest link. Its no good paying for super fast cable broadband, if your line and router are from the dark ages.

If half the neighborhood is using your internet then your not going to be getting anywhere near the speeds you should be either.

Another thing is the equipment your using, it will only be able to process information up to a certain speed, no matter how fast your actual connection is, and I think a lot of people tend to forget all that.
By WelshPaul
Virgin Media are looking to offer 100, 200 and 300mb teirs...

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/20 ... otted.html

Think Broadband are predicting upload increases.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6917 ... anges.html
By Devonne
My connection speed is one of the slowest due to location. I do know that at my pace of employment I am directly next door to the big name service provider and have been told time and time again that we have the fastest connection. Our computers run super slow though. I'm not sure if we are experiencing some sort of umbrella connect, or if it's actually the computers that are slow and not the internet. It wouldn't surprise me if we are tapping out our computer speed though as they are close to 5yrs old and may not be capable of loading pages that fast and maybe the CPU is being overrun. Good question though.
By chelsknits

How fast is too fast?
Very interesting question! It makes me think of those ones like "if a tree fell in the forest and no one was around to hear it, would it still make a sound". :clown: However, I think there's another factor that needs to be considered when asking this question: what exactly is the person doing on their computer? Someone who is an avid gamer who wants to run a game on several computers at once will need more speed than the average computer user who is using social media sites. I don't know much about internet speed though, so I don't have any idea of what could even be considered an educated guess.
By Samu Zadori

How fast is too fast?
That is an awesome question! The answer relies on the speed of the CPU the computer is using. If, for instance, you have a 2 GHz CPU, that means that it's can make 2 million binary decisions every second. This is roughly equal to a 1.9 Gbit internet connection. Since the current average CPU speed is 2.2 GHz, this means that an average person wouldn't be able to take advantage of a connection speed higher than 2.09 Gbit.
By Dekay
Higher bandwidth allows you to have more concurrent users even if you aren't able to saturate the connection by yourself, your roommates or even neighbors will likely benefit from the speed increase. I personally believe gigabit will be adopted as the default connection speed in the coming years, especially with advances in 4K video and big budget games these last few months, we are going to need that additional bandwidth.

Tried NordVPN then ExpressVPN last night but both …

A good write up on SIP ALG: https://www.voicehost…

Thanks very much. Really appreciate it! :-D

Attached below is my latest OBIHAI UK configuratio…