If it's about VoIP, SIP or Internet Telephony but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, post it here.
By bluegreen
wahmed wrote:1. It saves you a fair amount of cash.
2. It allows more than two people to talk at one time.
3. A lot of useful features ie area code selection.
4. Cheap hardware and software
5. Video calling
6. Efficient use of bandwidth
7.flexible network layout
Nowadays we have internet in almost every place. In a few years I see VOIP taking over paid calls, there is more and more people starting to use VOIP rather than the usual call service.

Whatsapp was the same thing, nowadays it's more common someone use this app to send text messages than the standard one, at least in my country/city...
By sakithanavod
I use VOIP to save my money. If the path you choose isn't going to save you money over traditional Telco or PBX solutions, then don't switch to VoIP. There is only one reason anyone considers VoIP over traditional Telco service: To Save Money. Obviously, you will need to do a lot of research to determine the ultimate cost of whatever solutions you are considering. In the end, it will be a cost benefit and reliability decision.
By bluegreen
Sunflogun wrote:The main reasons are that it save us money and it's reliable. Considering these two aspects, I think there is no need to use the old method of talking on the phone.
Yes it saves money, a lot, to be more precise, but it isn't more reliable than the usual way (phone calls), at this stage is far from that. With VOIP you are dependant on having some internet to do the calls. And with the "old method" you only need to have access to phone network (that these days reached almost everywhere), and with internet you don't have the same luck, unfortunately you don't have access to internet everywhere, and if you have your own internet on your device, it's very limited.

Final thought: it saves money, but nowadays it's not more reliable than the "old method" :P
By jamesbonner
This is the first time I understand what is VOIP, I didn't know what is about before because we don't have any VOIP providers in my country so I have no idea. I have a small questions which is : can we use VOIP to call normal phone numbers ? or we just can use it with VOIP numbers ?
please correct me if I did understood anything wrong ...
By pwarbi
bluegreen wrote:
Sunflogun wrote:The main reasons are that it save us money and it's reliable. Considering these two aspects, I think there is no need to use the old method of talking on the phone.
Yes it saves money, a lot, to be more precise, but it isn't more reliable than the usual way (phone calls), at this stage is far from that. With VOIP you are dependant on having some internet to do the calls. And with the "old method" you only need to have access to phone network (that these days reached almost everywhere), and with internet you don't have the same luck, unfortunately you don't have access to internet everywhere, and if you have your own internet on your device, it's very limited.

Final thought: it saves money, but nowadays it's not more reliable than the "old method" :P
And I think that is why it's still some way off becoming popular. Everybody likes to save money, but people also want reliability aswell, I'm sure we can all save money by going back to dial up broadband but we're obviously not going to do that because we also want a decent, reliable service aswell.

The more technology advances, the more reliable it's going to get, in my opinion, but that's going to be further down the line yet.
By bluegreen
pwarbi wrote:
bluegreen wrote:

And I think that is why it's still some way off becoming popular. Everybody likes to save money, but people also want reliability aswell, I'm sure we can all save money by going back to dial up broadband but we're obviously not going to do that because we also want a decent, reliable service aswell.

The more technology advances, the more reliable it's going to get, in my opinion, but that's going to be further down the line yet.
Yes I completely agree with your opinion pwarbi you are pretty right! :P
Everyone likes to save money but also want some reliability so that's why exists reviews and a thing called reliability/cost ratio :P and nowadays using the "Old Method" (with capital letters eh eh) it's certainly the best way to have the best reliability/cost ratio right now! :P

In my opinion I don't see this paradigm changing in the next few years (unfortunately and fortunately :P)
By nytegeek
Holy nested quoting batman! :P I tend to agree with Pwarbi here. Reliability is still a major factor in VoIP adoption. Internet service is often the source cause of reliability issues rather than the VoIP provider however. It doesn't matter how good your VoIP service is if you are trying to use it over a terrible internet connection.
By John Donovan
It's cheap, reliable (in most cases), it's a great way to connect with friends and family abroad. It also provides my friends and I with a free way of talking to each other during our late-night game sessions, as most in-game voice chat functions are really bad or, at best, mediocre.
By bosconian
Saving a big amount of cash was the reason 3 and a half years ago we switched to VOIP at the company I'm working. And saving big money once again is why now we are making the switch from Avaya to Asterisk.

Avaya is way too expensive because you not only need to buy licenses for your stations but you also need to have a support contract with them or one of their partners if you ever want to get more licenses.

With Asterisk there's no licenses needed (well, they are a few depending on the used codec, but they cost nothing compared to Avaya) and reason number 3 is true with Asterisk, there's a lot of cheap hardware to be use :)
By JH1818
pwarbi wrote:While there might be many reasons to use VOIP, the cost issue is probably the deciding factor for most people, especially for business users because like @sunflogun says, the saving on multiple lines will make a massive difference every month.
Not only the cost, but the independency of the telecom provider also. My provider has only a hard (PSTN) connection to there internet router. So only old phones, or dect can be used with this provider.
I want to have the freedom to use my landline number anywhere I want. Even from a hotel abroad. With a VOIP account I can do this.
By vinaya
One of the main reason to use VOIP is cost. VOIP is far more cheap compared to normal calls. However, when it comes to quality VOIP always fails. Voice quality in VOIP is far less than normal calls. Another drawback is we need to have a good internet connection. ON a unstable network, VOIP does not work properly. In my home country VOIP is could be a great problem considering the fact that internet connection is not very good, even though there has been a shift from normal calls to VOIP

Tried NordVPN then ExpressVPN last night but both …

A good write up on SIP ALG: https://www.voicehost…

Thanks very much. Really appreciate it! :-D

Attached below is my latest OBIHAI UK configuratio…