If it's about VoIP, SIP or Internet Telephony but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, post it here.
By BradR
I've been using Skype for years now, basically ever since MSN closed their messenger down and changed over to Skype. It's easy to use, allows communication to all countries and it's generally brilliant for what it aims to provide people, however, I've seen Google Voice advertised in several places and was wondering how it compared to Skype?
Sponsored
By Se7ev
There are some similarities between Skype and Google Voice and some differences. First, Skype charges for some special services and, unless you're calling outside the US, Google Voice is free. The charges are minimal, so ignore that. And the big difference between Skype and Google Voice: Skype is optimized to run over the Internet. Google Voice is optimized to run over the cellphone carrier network.
By WelshPaul
I think (in my opinion) what helps boost GV's service is that they provide a free local number to their customers, just as sipgate does to us UK residents. To be fair their call rates are pretty darn good if your calling UK mobiles - 3.6p per min inc VAT! (considering they don't offer services in the UK)

I for one hope they bring Google Voice to the UK officially. :P
By pwarbi
The Google voice to the UK question has been asked a few times on the forum in the past and we're still waiting to hear of an official date. Well, we don't even know if they are planning on releasing it, never mind an actual date!

The longer the UK waits for the service, the less people are going to want it as they'll have go and use one of the other services instead, so Google could do with announcing something
By bluegreen
Sunflogun wrote:Google is spreading and with low rates and a reliable service I am not surprised that it will be a big success.
Yes, many of my friends are migrating to Google Voice, I might check it later and see if I like :P probably it's worth the migration as many of my friends are saying that skype will become obsolete... :P
By chelsknits
BradR wrote:I've been using Skype for years now, basically ever since MSN closed their messenger down and changed over to Skype. It's easy to use, allows communication to all countries and it's generally brilliant for what it aims to provide people, however, I've seen Google Voice advertised in several places and was wondering how it compared to Skype?
With Google Voice you're given your own number and are able to make and receive calls from it, through your computer. I've only used it through a computer so I'm not sure how it would work on a phone, where as Skype has an app and can easily be used on a smartphone. On Google Voice you can also easily send text messages and the other person would receive them on their cell phone as if they were texting an actual cell phone. I've always found that feature really cool, though it might not be too useful in the professional world. Personally, I find Google Voice to be much easier to navigate but I've been told that it isn't released in all countries yet. But if you do have access to it, I would definitely suggest giving it a shot.
By John Donovan
There's...there's a Google Voice? *Bleep*, it seems that Google is branching out into pretty much all domains. Too bad they don't properly advertise their services, though. For example, today I learned that there's a Google VoIP! A few days ago I learned that there's also a Google Drive!

It seems they aren't taking care of their services. :/
By bluegreen
John Donovan wrote:There's...there's a Google Voice? *Bleep*, it seems that Google is branching out into pretty much all domains. Too bad they don't properly advertise their services, though. For example, today I learned that there's a Google VoIP! A few days ago I learned that there's also a Google Drive!

It seems they aren't taking care of their services. :/
And I learned today that there is a Google Drive. Yes I am pretty sure that Google in a few years will dominate every service if they continue like this. They already dominate search, they own youtube, google plus is meh but they can improve it if they really want, they dominate the browsers war... I don't know boys, but if they make a good work with this Google Voice...
By bluegreen
Kessen wrote:It really seems like Google has a service for everything. I currently use Skype, but I'm looking at moving over to Google Voice. Can anyone list the differences between the two services? I can't find much that would push me one way or the other.
I searched the web and found some comparisons between the 2 services, here you have some similarities/diferences:
Both have VIDEO CHAT
Only skype has free INTERNATIONAL CALLS
Skype requires a CLIENT to be downloaded
Google Voice uses a PLUGIN instead of a client
Free GROUP VIDEO CHAT only for Google Voice
Here you have some of the comparisons! Hope they help you decide between one or another!
By fatema
Alright, so people think these two are somewhat similar. To me they're not quite the same. Google Voice is more faster, less lag, less crashing. Some people think it's the other way around. It's just my opinion. If you guys think Skype is better, that's your opinion. Everyone has their own opinion. I would just rather use Google Voice. I think you should try both of them first before you judge though. You might like one better than you thought.
Sponsored