If it's about VoIP, SIP or Internet Telephony but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, post it here.
By chelsknits
I actually used to be a nanny for a family who didn't have a traditional home phone and instead used VoIP for their home phone, though all of the members of the family also had cell phones. What is your opinion on VoIP for this kind of use? I've recently been considering looking into it for this purpose, as opposed to just for business, to cut down on the cost I'm currently spending on a house phone through my cable provider. If you are currently using this method for a home phone, could you tell me what VoIP provider you're using and how satisfied you are with it for this purpose?
By WelshPaul
chelsknits wrote:I actually used to be a nanny for a family who didn't have a traditional home phone and instead used VoIP for their home phone, though all of the members of the family also had cell phones. What is your opinion on VoIP for this kind of use? I've recently been considering looking into it for this purpose, as opposed to just for business, to cut down on the cost I'm currently spending on a house phone through my cable provider. If you are currently using this method for a home phone, could you tell me what VoIP provider you're using and how satisfied you are with it for this purpose?
I don't have a "traditional home phone" either.

My home phone consists of these which in turn connect to this. It cost me nothing per month and I even have a local area telephone number so people can ring me as they would any "traditional home phone". Check out: https://www.sipgate.co.uk/basic/

I live in an area where cable broadband is available, it comes in via coax and therefore I don't need a "traditional home phone" in order to get broadband. Win win for me! :wacky:
By John Donovan
I don't know about normal home phones, but if I recall correctly, Microsoft is selling Skype-enabled home phones on their website. I'm guessing that would be one way to use VoIP, and it would be a really good way to introduce an old man/woman to VoIP without having to teach them about a lot of complicated (for them, at least) things.
By WelshPaul
There are VoIP providers out there who offer a service where they will ship you a pre-configured device. No VoIP knowledge required, just plug it in and your good to go...

Vonage, real calls and Voip2Go are just a few ITSP's who offer this.
By Sunflogun
This is an interesting question, but like many say many providers who offer net+phone packages say that the phone has no charges, so eventually we are already using voip and we don't even know it. In my case I am not really sure as my "traditional" phone is connected to my router... Is that Voip?

No problem, happy to hear that everything has been…

Thanks very much. Really appreciate it! :-D

Attached below is my latest OBIHAI UK configuratio…

System advice?

As you wanted 9 for an outside line, pretty sure t…