If it's about VoIP, SIP or Internet Telephony but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, post it here.
By John Donovan
I have recently learned that Microsoft has a certain Skype-related service, named Skype WiFi, with which, if I understood correctly, you can connect to various hotspots around the world. Is there anyone here who tried that?

I'm wondering if you can use the Internet only for Skype calls or if you can use it for other things too. I find this service to be very confusing, and I'd love it if someone who used it would explain it a bit.
By bluegreen
John Donovan wrote:I have recently learned that Microsoft has a certain Skype-related service, named Skype WiFi, with which, if I understood correctly, you can connect to various hotspots around the world. Is there anyone here who tried that?

I'm wondering if you can use the Internet only for Skype calls or if you can use it for other things too. I find this service to be very confusing, and I'd love it if someone who used it would explain it a bit.
I've never heard of that, but by your description it seems a very nice service and play by Skype owners. If they manage to spread the word and create more hotspots they might beat down some major brands :P
BTW is this service free to use?
If so, can you imagine having a hotspot where you could do calls for anyone for free?
By John Donovan
bluegreen wrote:
John Donovan wrote:I have recently learned that Microsoft has a certain Skype-related service, named Skype WiFi, with which, if I understood correctly, you can connect to various hotspots around the world. Is there anyone here who tried that?

I've never heard of that, but by your description it seems a very nice service and play by Skype owners. If they manage to spread the word and create more hotspots they might beat down some major brands :P
If so, can you imagine having a hotspot where you could do calls for anyone for free?
I'm not really an expert in Skype Wi-Fi; I'm more like someone interested but with no experience. From what I've understood, it is not free - you have to pay using your Skype credit, so that's offputting too.
By fatema
Yes, unfortunately it wasn't a success for me. It was slow, crashing. If you want, give it a shot. Everyone has their own luck. I just had bad luck. :( If you want, do some research like me. A lot of people said it worked, a majority of the people said it didn't. I mean you're not going to lose anything if you just try. If it works, it works, if it doesn't, it doesn't. Simple as that. I honestly wished it worked for me, it seemed really good. What can you do though, me and my luck.
By bluegreen
John Donovan wrote:
bluegreen wrote:

I'm not really an expert in Skype Wi-Fi; I'm more like someone interested but with no experience. From what I've understood, it is not free - you have to pay using your Skype credit, so that's offputting too.
Hum alright so it's not something really inovative as I expected eheh so I don't think it will succeed. It can achieve some success in bigger cities that are a lot related to technologies like Tokyo, New York and Hong Kong for example!