If it's about VoIP, SIP or Internet Telephony but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, post it here.
User avatar
By John Donovan
#2571
As a beginner in VoIP software and a really big fan of Vaporware and the such, I have to ask: what are some old VoIP programs that fell into the dirt and failed to pick themselves up? Also, I'd love to hear (if you have the knowledge, of course) how they fell and why they fell from grace.
By kylerlittle
#2573
If there is, they would be the ones that really didn't have any income or people that would use their service to survive. I think that major companies haven't had any changes, there used to be something owned by Microsoft I remember, but I don't remember if it was a VOIP as well, it was a platform that's similar to Skype.
John Donovan liked this
User avatar
By John Donovan
#2583
kylerlittle wrote:If there is, they would be the ones that really didn't have any income or people that would use their service to survive. I think that major companies haven't had any changes, there used to be something owned by Microsoft I remember, but I don't remember if it was a VOIP as well, it was a platform that's similar to Skype.
Thanks a lot for your reply! I'll have to look into it and/or ask some of my knowledgeable friends about a dead VoIP by Microsoft. If I'll find out, I'll get back to you with its name.

Oh! I just remembered while typing this. Weren't you thinking about Microsoft's "Messenger"? AIM, I think it was called. In about 2013 it got the axe and was integrated into Skype.
User avatar
By John Donovan
#2670
I know for sure now that it was their Messenger, but I don't think it had any VoIP features. Or maybe it had, but it didn't get much use from me as I used to use Yahoo! Messenger those days.
User avatar
By nytegeek
#2676
John Donovan wrote:As a beginner in VoIP software and a really big fan of Vaporware and the such, I have to ask: what are some old VoIP programs that fell into the dirt and failed to pick themselves up? Also, I'd love to hear (if you have the knowledge, of course) how they fell and why they fell from grace.
Vaporware is software that never actually gets developed and released. For example, a company announces a software title or version upgrade to stall competition but never actually releases said product. Did you mean abandonware?
By kylerlittle
#2692
John Donovan wrote:I know for sure now that it was their Messenger, but I don't think it had any VoIP features. Or maybe it had, but it didn't get much use from me as I used to use Yahoo! Messenger those days.
If I remember right, Messenger had the option to send SMS through credits.
Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests

Supported Products: OBi504vs OBi508vs Firm…

Supported Products: OBi200 OBi202 OBi300 OB…

Enter your email address here: https://haveibeenpw…

Well, with VoiceHost you can! I needed to report …