If it's about VoIP, SIP or Internet Telephony but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, post it here.
By John Donovan
I like to believe that I am not the only one who is fond of the first VoIP service I've used. I seem to take a liking to "firsts" in every aspect of my life: first kiss, first book, even first software used! That being said, I remember the years of 2006-2007, when my family had just gotten Internet. I recall chatting for hours on end with family abroad or with friends over the voice chat provided by Yahoo! Messenger. What a piece of work that was...

What was your first VoIP experience? Did you enjoy it?
adssolsn liked this
By bluegreen
My first VoIP experience was with Messenger xD (My family also bought the internet services around 2007 xD)
Was the better one those days. Everyone was simply using it and we used to create chat rooms with every user that was online, sometimes we had around 30 people writing on one chat room ahah
By John Donovan
bluegreen wrote:My first VoIP experience was with Messenger xD (My family also bought the internet services around 2007 xD)
Was the better one those days. Everyone was simply using it and we used to create chat rooms with every user that was online, sometimes we had around 30 people writing on one chat room ahah
Heh, nice to see others starting out the same as I did. :)
I think that Microsoft's Messenger service was more popular in the United States, while I know for sure that Yahoo! Messenger was more popular (or the only one used) in Europe, or at least in Eastern Europe.
By bluegreen
John Donovan wrote:
bluegreen wrote:My first VoIP experience was with Messenger xD (My family also bought the internet services around 2007 xD)
Heh, nice to see others starting out the same as I did. :)
I think that Microsoft's Messenger service was more popular in the United States, while I know for sure that Yahoo! Messenger was more popular (or the only one used) in Europe, or at least in Eastern Europe.
xDDDDDDDDDDD The problem is that I am from Western Europe and I didn't know Yahoo! Messenger until 2 days ago when you talked about it :P so, either I was one in a million or maybe it became more popular a few months after I started to use Microsoft's Messenger and I never knew about it because I was using a similar service :P
By bluegreen
SteveAtVoIP2Go wrote:Hate to admit it, but Skype was the first VoIP platform I used. I only use it for chat these days, but still have a lot of respect for how well it has done over the years.
How old are you? (if you don't mind my question :P) Because you must be still a teenager, you are not from my generation :P because Skype it's too recent compared to MSN and Yahoo! Messenger xP

Anyways, if you started with Skype you started with the best one these days!
By John Donovan
bluegreen wrote:
SteveAtVoIP2Go wrote:Hate to admit it, but Skype was the first VoIP platform I used. I only use it for chat these days, but still have a lot of respect for how well it has done over the years.
How old are you? (if you don't mind my question :P) Because you must be still a teenager, you are not from my generation :P because Skype it's too recent compared to MSN and Yahoo! Messenger xP

Anyways, if you started with Skype you started with the best one these days!
I don't think it matters how old he is. All that matters is that he started in an era which is way above what we were using back in the day in regards to quality. I can't wait to teach my children how to use software in the future...
By nytegeek
The first one I remember using was Dialpad. It was one of the first in the industry and they used to offer free pc to phone calls in the USA. They changed massively, and then got swallowed up by Yahoo in 2005. Yahoo introduced Yahoo Voice in place of dialpad and that was the death of it unfortunately.
By fatema
As you guys all know. I kind of talk about it quite a bit. About how I don't like Skype. I'm sad to say that Skype was my first voip. Hurts me a little saying that really. :x The only ones I like are Tango and Oovoo. I don't even think I knew about it back then. Maybe it wasn't even made? I don't remember that much really. I only remember skyping my cousins like everyday at night. I got to admit though, I liked it back then for some reason. Now, it's not really on my favorites list.
By BestGear
First, was messenger like many....and first "real" voip for me was BTs residential voip that they offered yonks ago...complete with (BT supplied) ATA 186.....

After that, spigate for years, and currently sipgate and voipfone.