If it's about VoIP, SIP or Internet Telephony but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, post it here.
By John Donovan
This used to be absolutely HUGE in Romania about eight years ago, especially for those looking to hook up online. In fact, that was quite the operation: you would first join an IRC room, and find someone interesting over there, then you'd ask for their "mess" ID, and then you'd chat with them. Of course, the phrase "A/S/L PLS" was used quite a lot. xD

Hook-ups aside, it used to be a great way of talking to friends abroad, as it provided both audio chat and video chat.

Did anyone else try this out during its golden age?
Sponsored
By John Donovan
Sunflogun wrote:I recall the IRC times, I was super happy to be talking to someone in the internet, and now things have evolved to another levels.
Isn't it a bit crazy to think how fast we've evolved technologically, especially in the last two decades alone? We've gone from really slow speeds and text chat only to fantastic speeds and high-definition video and audio chatting. I look to the future and can't really imagine where we'll be in another 10 or 20 years.
By bluegreen
John Donovan wrote:
Sunflogun wrote:I recall the IRC times, I was super happy to be talking to someone in the internet, and now things have evolved to another levels.
Isn't it a bit crazy to think how fast we've evolved technologically, especially in the last two decades alone? We've gone from really slow speeds and text chat only to fantastic speeds and high-definition video and audio chatting. I look to the future and can't really imagine where we'll be in another 10 or 20 years.
Yes true story, the technology evolves really fast. Principally the technology related to computers! You can test everything and do whatever you want because if you fail there aren't people dependant on your results :P and if you are developing cars, for example, you need to go slow and test everything eh eh
I have one thing to say: Holographic Calls is not that far away ;)
By nytegeek
Actually there are a lot of people dependent on the results when developing computer technology. Medical applications of the technology are a primary example. The fact that it expands so rapidly and pervades into almost every facet of life for many means that people are very dependent on results. Communications are no exception to this.
By suegiplaye
John Donovan wrote:
I still see people trying to message me with Yahoo Messenger, but they are usually from other countries, and I am just like yuck! That is so 10 years ago!
By nytegeek
Instant Messengers for the desktop are in decline in general because of better VoIP options and mobile device messaging options. That said, those of us that work from home on our computers often find use in services like yahoo messenger still so don't discount them entirely just yet.
By fatema
To he honest, I've never used Yahoo Messenger before. Yahoo is a really good website, so I'm guessing there messaging is pretty good too! You won't lose anything just trying! You got to at some point just go for stuff. If it's anything like Facebook messenger, then get it! Why not take a shot, it might end up being the best messenger app you've used. If you do end up trying it, let us know how it goes! (:
By bluegreen
fatema wrote:To he honest, I've never used Yahoo Messenger before. Yahoo is a really good website, so I'm guessing there messaging is pretty good too! You won't lose anything just trying! You got to at some point just go for stuff. If it's anything like Facebook messenger, then get it! Why not take a shot, it might end up being the best messenger app you've used. If you do end up trying it, let us know how it goes! (:
If it's like Facebook messenger I will have to pass it and search for other service like this. On my devices this app/service (Facebook Messenger) is really slow. In my opinion Facebook services and the site in general are not well optimised for old devices with less RAM and with a less powerful CPU thus my computer and mobile devices suffer a lot with the performance when running this app/this site!
By John Donovan
Snakevenom wrote:I remember using IRC quite a bit, yahoo messenger never caught on around where I live though. It's interesting to see how use of services like these vary from area to area. In one place they are very popular whereas in other places it is not.
It certainly is really interesting! This also happens all the time with video games, especially in today's world. Asian countries tend to play strategy genres (and they are VERY good at them) such as Real Time Strategy or Multiplayer Online Battle Arena, while the Western world tends to go to shooter games for fun.

In Romania, Counter-Strike has always been king. *Bleep*, people are still playing the old 1.6 even today! It is true, however, that most have switched to Global Offensive.

As for VoIP services, I see that asian countries tend to use Teamspeak and Ventrilo over the others, and the rest of the world tends to use Skype.
Sponsored