If it's about VoIP, SIP or Internet Telephony but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, post it here.
By SeftonH
I have a SIP cloud PBX, global DID's, and distributed offices. I am new at all this but have it hanging together. Probably not enterprise standard but its working the way I need to operate my business.

One part I havent got tied in is cellular. Managers spend a lot of time out of the UK and I would like to redirect UK mobiles to our SIP system.. Which is then globally routed.

IF mobile out of signal / off.. THEN -> sipaccount@cloudpbx (from there it gets directed to extensions / voicemails / etc).

Simple huh ??

I know I could manually set up redirects from mobiles, but then I pay all redirect costs on possibly high volume inbounds. Also it needs manually turning on an off, which managers will mess up, fail to do, etc. This also doesnt work for patchy signal when the person didnt know he was going out of service on the mobile.

Initial inquiries to 3, EE, BT, etc has resulted in first line techs who clearly didnt understand my requests. Just asking of anyone knows of any mobile operator / network in the UK who could do this on a corporate account ??
By WelshPaul
I'm not aware of any UK mobile company offering what you're asking and I can't ever see them allowing it voluntary either as it would not only cost them money to implement but it would also cost them money in lost revenue. Try having a word with Vodafone as they have a department that deals with corporate organisations (0845 241 9560) https://www.vodafone.co.uk/business/index.htm

If you do find any of the UK mobile companies offering such a feature, please come back and let us know. :thumbsup:
By SeftonH
Unsure how they make money going to voicemail when the phone is off / out of service ?

Not asking to route there if the phone is on network, asking to route there to integrate my own voicemail and redirection call handling when it isnt.

Do none of the VoLTE or 'wifi calling' systems and options work via SIP ?? My google Pixel XL supports SIP accounts over data out of the box, but what its not doing is as described, sending calls to SIP when phone isnt connected to the network.

Thanks anyway.
By WelshPaul
SeftonH wrote:
Sat 13th May 2017, 10:02
Unsure how they make money going to voicemail when the phone is off / out of service ?
Some mobile networks either still charge (per minute) for calling voicemail or they deduct the length of the call from any free monthly allowance. Also worth mentioning that a mobile network receives a small percentage of all inbound calls received on their network, including calls to voicemail.
SeftonH wrote:
Not asking to route there if the phone is on network, asking to route there to integrate my own voicemail and redirection call handling when it isnt.
Yea, I understand and as you already know this would have to be done at a network level. This has been asked many times by VoIP customers using DID's - Currently when a VoIP provider goes down, so does their geographical phone number. The DID is still pointed at the VoIP providers network but as it's down they can't re-route it, if they offered what you're asking then a backup route could be put in place at the exchange/switch and message be played to callers informing them of a technical fault rather than the dreaded number not in use message or tone.
SeftonH wrote:
Do none of the VoLTE or 'wifi calling' systems and options work via SIP ?? My google Pixel XL supports SIP accounts over data out of the box, but what its not doing is as described, sending calls to SIP when phone isnt connected to the network.
Pretty sure that they use proprietary protocols.
By SeftonH
So can you think of any workarounds ??

Obviously I can look at forwarding all mobile calls, with the costs of the forward being mine, but then the forwarding needs to me manually turned on and off, not good.

I even thought about having individual freephone DID's (I have one already) for each person, thereby cheaper forwarding ??

Currently having a voicemail message with the company number for that person on it is all I can think of, and thats really a ropey solution.

If I could keep everyone using SIP softphones we would be better off, as I can control the inbound return calling but people tend to continue to use thier mobiles.
By WelshPaul
SeftonH wrote:
Sat 13th May 2017, 10:46
So can you think of any workarounds ??

Obviously I can look at forwarding all mobile calls, with the costs of the forward being mine, but then the forwarding needs to me manually turned on and off, not good.

I even thought about having individual freephone DID's (I have one already) for each person, thereby cheaper forwarding ??
Sadly your options are extremely limited and the only thing that came to mind was forwarding calls to a freephone number but that will cost you around £5-6 per month per number plus 3-4p per minute per call.

Sadly, once the mobile phone is off or out of signal, that's it! Call forwarding is your only option other than the networks voicemail service. :-/
By SeftonH
Yeah its the lack of automation t the forwarding which makes that a bad idea..

Our managers are very international, but they all (can) have VOIP systems in home offices outside of the UK.

I think putting voicemails (on the mobiles) including personally allocated DIDs, or PBX and extensions, probably works best.

Just sucks as a voice over data provider like three etc connecting to SIP seems a trivial fowarding, they would still make the fraction of inbounds, and what do they lose ?? Some minutes to check voicemails ??

Thanks anyway, if you hear of a mobile provider offering this kind of functionality, please post here and I will get the alert.
WelshPaul liked this