If it's about VoIP, SIP or Internet Telephony but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, post it here.

Advertisement

By Sponsor
By TexasDave
Hello,

I have a Google Voice number as well as a VOIP and FAX from voip.ms.

I am now in the UK (moved from USA) and our house has both wireless and wired Ethernet.

I am looking for the best call quality for receiving calls from the USA and for making calls to the USA.

I am ok with having a "wired" solution if this improves quality.

1) Could someone recommend a few pieces of kit (either VOIP Phones or ATA) that are reasonable cost but give good call quality?

2) What are the pros and cons of a VOIP phone versus ATA?

Many thanks!!

Dave

Advertisement

By Sponsor
By WelshPaul
TexasDave wrote: Mon 4th December 2017, 11:44 Hello,

I have a Google Voice number as well as a VOIP and FAX from voip.ms.

I am now in the UK (moved from USA) and our house has both wireless and wired Ethernet.

I am looking for the best call quality for receiving calls from the USA and for making calls to the USA.

I am ok with having a "wired" solution if this improves quality.

1) Could someone recommend a few pieces of kit (either VOIP Phones or ATA) that are reasonable cost but give good call quality?

2) What are the pros and cons of a VOIP phone versus ATA?

Many thanks!!

Dave
Wired is always the preferred method although personally, I haven't experienced any issues using VoIP over WiFi. As for questions one and two...

1. If your using Google Voice then your hardware options are limited, very limited! Only the OBIHAI ATA's and IP phones will work with Google Voice. You could use Simon Telephonics or FreePBX to access your Google Voice as this will allow you to use any SIP based hardware.

2. I prefer IP phones for a myriad of reasons.
  1. They support the use of multiple ITSPs, selectively making calls via each account as desired
  2. They allow dialing by SIP URI, by passing the PSTN altogether allowing for free calls
  3. In bypassing the PSTN they may support wideband calling & video calls
  4. Most IP phones can sustain multiple simultaneous calls, and on-phone conferencing up to 4 parties.
  5. They make it easier to transfer calls between phones.
  6. They support tighter integration with PBX functions, the PBX may be local or hosted off-site.
  7. They have more flexible contact lists that may support SIP URIs & line selection on a per contact basis
CJT-80 liked this

In the past month, Microsoft have changed their sp…

Porting NGN Issue...

Hi WelshPaul, thanks for the replies and your ef…

Not at this time no. :dunno: Having just looked…

Hello, I have a Google Voice number as well as …