If it's about VoIP, SIP or Internet Telephony but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else, post it here.
By otronics
Posts Avatar Topics
Hello.

I am looking at ditching my old POTS system in my house (currently Virgin Media) and going VOIP.

I've seen some people in the USA using their existing internet connection and go VOIP with Google Voice and an Obihai box.

Is this an option in the UK?

What I would like to achieve is:

* An internet connection.

* Use VOIP through said internet connection by whatever means possible.

* Use my existing telephones (via adaptors I guess).

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Oliver.

Advertisement

By Sponsor
By WelshPaul
Posts Signature Likes Avatar Topics
otronics wrote: Tue 20th Aug 2019, 13:35 I've seen some people in the USA using their existing internet connection and go VOIP with Google Voice and an Obihai box.

Is this an option in the UK?
Nope, Google voice is not available here in the UK.

All you really need to achieve a similar setup here in the UK is a VoIP ATA and a SipGate Basic account.
Why use SipGate? Well they are the only UK VoIP provider to offer free UK geographical phone numbers, you just top up your account will calling credit so that you can make calls (receiving calls are free).
By otronics
Posts Avatar Topics
Thank you so much for this.

I've signed up to Sipgate and already have some BT telephone adaptors.

Can I run multiple phone off one port (I have four phones in my house (which I can easily route anywhere))?

Or, is there a decent four port Phone Adaptor out there?

(I can't see a four port home adaptor after a search - seems it gets to business level after that).
By WelshPaul
Posts Signature Likes Avatar Topics
otronics wrote: Mon 26th Aug 2019, 14:49 Can I run multiple phone off one port (I have four phones in my house (which I can easily route anywhere))?
Yes you can! VOIP ATA FXS ports usually support a total REN (Ringer Equivalency Number) load of less than 5.0. Many modern day electronic phones have RENs of much less than 1.0 so you might get away with connecting more than five telephones to the FXS port.

Advertisement

By Sponsor
NEW FEATURE - Forum Points System

Hello VoIPers, We are excited to announce that we…

Issue with "Play music on hold"

Hi Folks, I have a strange issue with my Freepbx (…

Freepbx - Music on Hold - Sipdroid

Hi Folks, I'm not sure if anyone can help me but I…

The Grandstream range of ATAs will work with pulse…