VoIP hardware is developing fast - this is where you ask all those “how do I make my SIP Telephone, Adapter or Asterisk box work with my voip provider?” questions.
By WelshPeter
Posts Likes Avatar Topics
I want to be able to use my existing number for incoming calls but default to my VOIP service for outgoing. I have been told I am unable to port my number over, both by my VOIP provider and Plusnet my FTC supplier. The only solution that has been suggested is to use an adaptor with an FXO port, but there don't seem to be many available, and the ones that are cost a lot more money. The only one I've found is the Grandstream HT813. Will an FXO port do the job and are there any other alternatives?

Pete
By WelshPaul
Posts Signature Likes Avatar Topics
Many people use their PSTN lines for incoming calls and a VoIP line for outgoing calls as it saves them money. For such setups its recommended that you implement the following:
  1. Have your VoIP provider set your PSTN landline number as its default caller id. Now, when you dial out over your VoIP line it looks like your calling from your PSTN line.
  2. Get yourself an analogue telephone adapter (or DECT base) that has both an FXO and FXS port. This will allow you to use a POTS and VoIP line together in perfect harmony. (e.g. answer calls that come in on your pots line and dial out over VoIP)
As you have found out, hardware is limited. I think it's because old copper lines are being phased out and should be obsolete by 2025 and so sales of such hardware are low. Anyway, I recommend the following hardware:

ATA's:
  1. Grandstream HT813 ATA
  2. OBIHAI OBi212 (available on amazon.com only)
DECT Bases:
  1. Gigaset N300 IP DECT
  2. Gigaset N300A IP DECT (as above but has its own built in answering machine)
You can of course look on eBay for older hardware such as the Cisco SPA232D, Linksys SPA3000 or LINKSYS SPA3102. Be careful though, most are probably going to be cheap Chinese knock-offs (I wouldn't risk it myself as its a security risk IMO).
WelshPeter liked this
By WelshPeter
Posts Likes Avatar Topics
Thank you Paul. I'll see if I can get an adaptor with FXO & FXS ports. I have a problem with my Cisco SPA 110 at the moment but I think it may be my VOIP provider. I answer a call but the line is silent. The caller just hears the ring tone as if the call has not been answered. The VOIP service from another provider works OK. A reboot sorts matters out but before long the issue returns. I'll contact them tomorrow to see if they can sort it.

Cheers
Pete
By WelshPaul
Posts Signature Likes Avatar Topics
Try setting up the Stun option with the VoIP provider you're having issues with. See if they have their own, if not you should be able to use a STUN server offered by another provider.

If they don't have their own, try using Sipgate's:
  • STUN Server: stun.sipgate.net
  • STUN Server port: 3478
Good Luck
WelshPeter liked this
Gigaset DE410

Hello. I got 16 DE410 handsets from ebay. Fourteen of …

Zoiper BLF not working

Hi all, Just seeing if anyone has got Zoiper on the de…

R.I.P. Voipfone User Forum

:cry: :cry:

SITE MAINTENANCE - 8/8/2020

Maintenance complete All work has been completed an…