Get help with installing, upgrading and running a PBX such as Asterisk.
100 %
By Unicorns99
Posts Avatar
FreePBX (was installed yesterday onto my new box), with asterisk 16. I tried for hours to get the files working with the ones on this site, no dice. I literally cloned a GitHub repo and voila, worked straight away. But, I'll try again today and see if I can get them working. I did have a quick Google about for the TFTP server which runs on freepbx, I put the files in there as well, again no dice. I even have a TFTP server running on my NAS - phone doesn't seem to grab the files.

Long story short, I want to move my business over to using VoIP gear, it'll be way easier than using just a landline phone, I have somewhat got knowledge but obviously am falling short in most places, this is more of just a hobby, but ideally id like to figure it out so I can move to VoIP in my shop.. PC / Phone repair place and I can't figure out voip.. must be some kind of dark magic.
By WelshPaul
Posts Signature Likes Avatar Topics
The configuration files in the download section do work, I tested them extensively...

The Cisco 7940 is obsolete and there hasn't been any new firmware updates released in years, so no reason why the config files wouldn't work now. Unfortunately there is no one install fits all scenario, and so some minor configuration changes will need to be applied depending on what VoIP provider you're using and your local network configuration. Any reason why you want to use the Cisco 7940 series IP phones? These are not native sip phones and have been obsolete for years now. If you like the Cisco brand then I recommend that you consider the SPA series phones. The SPA series are SIP based VoIP phones with a web GUI built in! You configure them in the same way you would your WiFI router, see a working demo here.

Anyway, first things first. You need to get your TFTP server up and running first! No point messing around with configuration files if the phone isn't even capable of pulling them from the server. Are you sure that the phones are not being blocked by a firewall and that the phones are on the same network as the phones? Factory reset the phones and start again from scratch!

It's pretty straight forward:
  1. Press Settings and Option #9 Unlock Config. It will ask you for your password. The default would be ‘cisco’. Then go to Option# 3 Network Configuration -> Option 32 Alternate TFTP and change this to ‘YES‘
  2. Then go to Option #7: TFTP Server and change this to the IP Address of your TFTP Server and press ‘Validate‘ and ‘Save’
Providing your TFTP server is up and running and your firewall preventing access the phones will pull the configuration files automatically. What exactly does it say in the TFTP servers log files?
By nasarz
Posts Avatar
Hi Paul - I am having problems with outgoing calls on Freebpx and Sipgate. Incoming calls work fine. Everything worked fine (outgoing and incoming) about a month ago until the Freepbx updated (I had auto updates enabled). After that outgoing calls stopped working. My trunk settings, outgoing routes are as per your guide above but I am not so familiar with dial plan - I have an" X." in the match pattern field (which is as per the Sipgate guide) - any thoughts welcome.
By Unicorns99
Posts Avatar
Unfortunately, the 7940 was cheap on ebay, I got a pair of them for a tenner. I also have a SPA302D With the ATA, of which I also have paired to the same ATA - Cisco CP-6825 DECT handsets. Tbh, I preferred the form factor of the 7940's over a DECT handset, they seem a bit more rugged.

I'll dink about with the phones now - see if I can get them to behave again.
By Unicorns99
Posts Avatar
WelshPaul wrote:
Thu 17th Sep 2020, 13:45
Anyway, first things first. You need to get your TFTP server up and running first! No point messing around with configuration files if the phone isn't even capable of pulling them from the server. Are you sure that the phones are not being blocked by a firewall and that the phones are on the same network as the phones? Factory reset the phones and start again from scratch!
Got it working with your configs, the dialplan it doesn't like though, every call I make FreePBX says that number isn't in service, I'll swap yours out for the one I found in my configs and see if that works instead.

Hello Everyone, Viva Communications is a VoIP services…

Testing 999? What do I say?

Taken from Reddit: I've done this recently myself. Wh…

Hi @G-OZBZ The Cisco 7911 is not a native SIP pho…

VoIp Softphone For Android !!!

Hello Andrew, Check Yay.com they offer a free softphon…