Therefore, in an effort to be complete, I'm writing this article to help clarify the requirements needed to log into the SPA112 ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter). As well, in future articles when I need to refer to logging into the SPA112 ATA, I will just refer to this article for the instructions on how to do so, rather than repeating the same information for each article that requires login access.
When you login to the SPA112 you will be using a web browser on your PC to access the Cisco Phone Adapter Configuration Utility. My examples are based on the current firmware version 1.1.0 (011) installed into my SPA112 ATA (at the time this article is published).
In a nutshell, all you need in order to login to the SPA112 ATA as an administrator is:
- The IP address assigned to the ATA.
- The Username of the administrator account.
- The Password of the administrator account.
- Power connected to the ATA.
- An Ethernet cable connected between the RJ-45 jack (the "blue" jack marked as "Internet") on the back of the SPA112 ATA and a LAN port on your network router.
- An analog telephone connected to one of the RJ-11 phone jacks on the back of the SPA112 (marked as Phone 1 and Phone 2).
- A PC connected to one of your router LAN ports (must be on same IP sub-net as SPA112).
- A web browser running on your PC. In my case, I'm using Internet Explorer.
- What if you don't know the IP address assigned to the ATA?
- What if you don't know the Administrator Username and/or password?
Using The IVR System To Discover The Assigned IP Address
The SPA112 has a built-in IVR (Interactive Voice Response) utility. With this utility, it is a straightforward procedure to discover the IP address assigned to the VoIP adapter:
- Using your analog telephone, which you connected to one of the ATA phone jacks, take the phone off-hook, then press the star key four times (* * * *). This connects you to the IVR system.
- Now, enter the code 110#.
- The IVR system will now read-back to you the IP address assigned to it.
- Hang-up the phone when done.
- Open your web browser (I'm using Internet Explorer).
- Type the IP address assigned to your SPA112 ATA into the browser address box, and press Enter key.
- You will now have access to the Phone Adapter Configuration Utility Login window as shown below:
The Default Administrator Username and Password
If you purchased the SPA112 new from an authorized Cisco distributor/reseller, it will arrive configured with the firmware set to its Factory Defaults. The Administrator Username and Password defaults are as follows:
- Username: admin
- Password: admin
At this point, you are free to have your way with the SPA112 as you wish, as the logged-in administrator.